• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tink is "not right" UD she's home and very bright

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
:cry: Poor girl, I've absolutely no idea what's ailing her but she's not her bright, greedy self.

I've been closely watching her for a few days and she just seems in her own little world, I'm guessing like I'd be if I was in pain (I'm having to take a guess that it's pain).

She's been less enthusiastic about her food for a couple of days. She's normally racing around thumping her feet when it's food time but today she was in her hidey place, managed to come out for a sniff at the pellets and went back into hiding. 10 minutes later when it was spring greens time she didn't even seem to notice I was handing out greens and when I put them about a foot in front of her she took a few seconds then started eating them (should have been instant with my Tink). She's hardly touched either food. I've realised over the last week she's not trashing her cage either, the hay stays in the hay bed and the Megazorb stays in the litter tray, she's also weeing entirely in the tray which is remarkable for her as she's a messy moo.

Anyhow, this morning's 'evidence' was enough for me to decide she needs to see the vet, so she has an appointment late morning. she's a tad short of 7 years old and last time she had stasis they commented on arthritis in her spine which is one possible culprit....

Last edited:
Poor Tink :( sending lots of healing vibes your way. xxxxx

Thank you.

Millions of vibes for Tink. Must be very stressful having two buns not well. Hope it is something simple.

Thanks. Elijah's okay now so they are taking it in turns rather than overlapping poorliness... at the moment anyway. Though last week I collected Betsy from Saturday's stasis on Sunday morning then only about 10 hours later took Elijah in with his episode ....

There was nothing obvious to find on Tink's consultation so they are going to x-ray her, if nothing shows do blood tests etc. She's staying in after in case she's so stresses she doesn't eat at all. All being well coming home tomorrow. Got to ring later for results of investigations.

Fingers crossed that they're able to ascertain what's wrong, and fingers crossed that it's as easily fixable as possible.

Tink's x-ray didn't reveal anything worrying, no kidney stones or anything such.

She has had her spine x-rayed from above as well as an abdominal x-ray to see if there are any arthritic changes that could be responsible (for which she needed sedating). The arthritis is still mild and as Ruth pointed out Tinks is keeping herself clean so that's unlikely to be the culprit. Tink managed to time her arrival just before FHB so got gold star treatment and it was FHB who gave her the thorough 'MOT'.

Bloods have been sent to the lab and will be back tomorrow. So, for the moment, it *could* have been colicky pain as nothing else untoward has been found.

Thanks for the vibes. I'm hugely relieved it's not kidney stones as despite Tink not liking human contact very much, I adore her and her little face melts my heart every time I see it :love:

Wow what a stroke of luck seeing FHB :D

So glad nothing serious has been identified. I hope she improves soon and stops worrying you!

Glad to hear that it may have been a one off. :) Continuing vibes for her to be much improved each day. xxxx

Thanks for the further vibes and good wishes.

Tink is staying in today. I had the option of bringing her home today but after weighing up all the factors with the vet we decided she would stay. She's still not eating well (though enjoyed a syringe feed earlier). She appears calm and not greatly flustered there. She's bright enough in herself.

The blood results may indicate whether she's under the weather because of infection or something that needs treating so may need antibiotics... the joint decision was it would be less stressful for her/better all round if she stayed until we knew what was going on with her (if indeed we do find out what it's all about!). So we get the blood results tomorrow and the nurses will have the "pleasure" of syringe feeding her in the meantime.;)

Back