• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter

Melaniesn

New Kit
Hi all,

I got 2 lionhead lops in July and they are a joy to have! They have a hutch which we have a box with loads of straw in and a rain cover over it for extra warmth but I am worrying about the winter and if they will be warm enough. Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Hi there. Rabbits cope well in the cold weather and as you have 2 they can cuddle up for extra warmth. :love::love:

Thanks Tonibun, thats good to hear I hate the thought of them being too cold. We have brought them inside for 20 mins or so a few evenings so we all get to interact with them despite the cold, do you think that's ok or will it make them feel the cold more when they go back out?

Thanks!

Bringing them in will be a shock to their systems going from cold to warm and back so best to interact with them outside.
When it gets really cold some of us use snugglesafes which are microwaveable heat pads you can put under the straw in their sleeping area. You can also put extra layers on their hutch under the rain cover for insulation, although you will probably find they choose to sit out in their cold run most of the time anyway!

Back