• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine scald in 12yr old bunny

Hi, Charlie is now 12.5 years old. He's fairly lively, eats well and still jumps on the sofa to steal toast! But...

We were worried about excessive thirst and he's just finished a course of antibiotics, this seems to have worked.

We still have a problem with lots of urine on his rear end. But it's not the usually leaking on his legs, he's actually dry underneath. he's wet around his tail and on top of his tail, an area about 20cm x 20cm. His tail is matted and stained and he holds it lower now, but I'm not sure of this is cause of consequence.

He's a house rabbit, his cage is cleaned frequently (daily now), part of his cage is carpeted and the rest is paper and hay box. We've been washing and trying to keep him dry but his skin is getting sore now. The vet suggested baby powder and sudacrem (he's can't reach to lick it)

We will of course go back to the vets but it's nice to hear what you think.

Is it possible he has arthritis? I have heard of arthritic buns suffering in similar ways as they start to sit and hold themselves differently and end up sitting in their own wee or weeing on themselves because they can't hold the normal pee position without pain.

12.5 is a spectacular age :love: I hope the vet can help him be more comfortable.

I was wondering about Arthritis, but he was sprinting around the lounge last night and he still jumps onto the sofa, he's a large bunny (not giant) and it's still quite a jump for him? eating sleeping and everything else is fine, but maybe his toilet posture isn't good and the wee is soaking in.

Yes 12.5yrs is amazing... I like to tell children and their parents in places like pets at home that my rabbit is 12.5 .. it makes them think properly about their purchase!!!

Thanks for your thoughts

My Farore used to have arthritis (she was a conti or conti cross so much more common in giants) and she still binkied around and could easily jump. She was much more lively on higher pain meds but didn't seem in pain on lower levels of medication even though her suddenly acting like a loon when it was upped would indicate she was uncomfortable before.

They are little gits at hiding what is wrong with them sometimes!

I suspect arthritis too, he probably cant lift his bum much as he wees, even if he can still hop about OK.

In older Rabbits some calcification of the kidneys may be an issue and this would influence the dose of non steroidal anti-inflammatory prescribed. So the Vet may suggest running a blood profile and starting him off on a very low dose of something like Metacam initially.

You could also ask the Vet to shave off all the soiled fur, that will make keeping your Rabbit clean and dry a bit easier. Personally I would not use Baby Powder on a Rabbit.

Finally, bladder sludge can also develop in older Rabbits, so I'd ask the Vet about the possibility of that too

Good luck xx

Sudacrem is a barrier cream, and should help prevent the soreness caused by having urine (acidic) sitting on the skin because it's semi waterproof. I'd get the vet to shave the area, you can then give him a wipe over with a wet wipe and apply the cream several times a day and you should find that makes him much more comfortable and is much easier than washing.

Is it possible he has arthritis? I have heard of arthritic buns suffering in similar ways as they start to sit and hold themselves differently and end up sitting in their own wee or weeing on themselves because they can't hold the normal pee position without pain.

12.5 is a spectacular age :love: I hope the vet can help him be more comfortable.

I agree with Hele, it sounds like arthritis, despite him being agile in other respects!

As he can't clean himself thoroughly, I would as Tamsin suggested, get the vet to shave the affected fur. I know people have used Sudocrem often on their bunnies and it works fine. I like to use Calendula as it soothes and heals the skin as well as providing a barrier.

Well done for looking after a bunny to get him to 12.5 years old :thumb:

Back