• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with Panacur and worms please?

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Doris and/or Pepper has worms - I found them in their droppings and am fairly certain it's primarily Doris, as she has seemed thin since she arrived despite the same portion sizes as the others.

I treated both Doris and Pepper with 9 days of Panacur, 1 graduation per rabbit per day as advised by the vet. Doris seems to have filled out a little already, but today would be day 11 and I discovered another worm in a dropping.

Has the Panacur not worked? Or could they have been re infested? Not sure what I have done wrong :(

Any advice would be appreciated!

:wave: I had this problem with one of mine. They would clear almost immediately once started panacur and then about a week later I would see a few again.

After a couple of 9 day courses we took him to the vet for a different type of med (can't remember which one now). Same again, cleared for a couple of weeks and then back. His partner was treated too to be on the safe side.

We recently put him on 28 days (actually did about 30 days) of panacur and again they cleared. We are seeing the odd one occasionally still.

If it comes back as it was (a few each day) then we agreed with our vet to take a sample to Leahurst to get tested.

ETA - check you are giving the right dosage (I found the syringes confusing!)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?429274-Panacur-paste-dosage&highlight=rambo

Last edited:
Thanks, pepper is approx 2.6kg and doris is smaller, so they've been getting 1 each, although I agree that the syringe is confusing!
I don't know how they can have got them, doris was wormed at the rescue and due to some issues with referred aggression they haven't been out free ranging.
Did you wait in between 9 day doses or start again as soon as you realised they were back?
Could messy litter tray habits be making it worse? They are a nightmare :(
We have wormed the cat too to be on the safe side and have a strict quarantine going on as there's no evidence of Finx and tango having any, and giving tango meds is a real problem so I'd rather avoid having to treat him.

It was about a week or two before they showed again so there was a natural break of a couple of weeks and then took them to the vet for the panomec when it did not work the second time. We had the same cycle so that is when we did the longer course of panacur which does seem to have helped a lot but not 100%

Might be worth a phonecall to your vet for some advice before doing it again (our vet was aware of what we were doing).

As buns do eat their poop then there is a chance that they could be eating them again (that was my theory anyway!) therefore an ongoing cycle. We tried to empty their litter tray or put other hay on top each time we saw them go :roll: within reason of course.

I think the lifecycle of the egg is 28 days.

An update - we've started Panacur round 2 with 2 graduations each after getting advice from the vet, who looked at a sample and believes them to be tapeworm segments!
Hopefully this time it will sort it, if not then I'm to collect a bigger sample and get them sent off for testing. The vet mentioned that tapeworms can cause bloat or impaction and weight loss, so a little worried now... But at least we have some advice to follow.
All buns are quarantined to their accommodation with no play time in the garden now, and the cat has been wormed too.
There's always something! How anyone can think rabbits are easy pets is beyond me.

Just searched the forum and discovered that Panacur might not work on tapeworms?
Bit confused. Also saw a picture of exactly what I'm seeing in their droppings, which was tested and declared to be vegetable matter.
Aaaaarrgh :(

ETA just googled and read that it treats some kinds of tapeworms but not others?

Last edited:
Try the Panacur and if that doesn't work ask to try an alternative or a prolonged course. Hope they clear OK this time

The antiparasitic Droncit(praziquantel) is usually what is used for tapeworms. From what I can tell too, Panacur would only be effective against one species of tapeworm, which is not one of the species that typically occur in rabbits.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/tapeworm_2.htm

That's what I thought, although during the first course the white segments did disappear, and there are none at the moment either, so it must be doing something.

If I find them again after the 9 days I'll ask for something else I think.

Back