• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kerbie still not 100%

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
:(

He is much better than he was before his dental, eating and pooping!

But his poos were noticeably wetter on on Tuesday so on Thursday he went back to the vets and we were given more metacam and metoclopramide .. When he got back he pooped and they were bigger than they had been in weeks! But we started the medicine.. Then today it's just gone downhill again and we've decided to stop. We stopped it before (after a week) because he hates being picked up and the stress was making him practically hyperventilate and he wouldn't eat/move properly for days..

Now he is terrified of my bf so I'm the only one who can go into their room now as I'm not seen as the threat! He is eating but slowly. He has never been a huge hay eater even though I have tried every kind going, he preferred readigrass but now he won't eat that. This has been going on for ages though. He was picking at hay, but it was a 'nibble nibble drop' and that was it. That was last night but he's just scared now..

He has an appointment for Tuesday I think to see our usual vet. Typically she is only working at the Tamworth branch next week which is a 25 minute drive with the biggest stress head bunny ever.
Even then all she will do is have another look in his mouth. From what she can see it all looks fine but she didn't see a lot! She did say she would have to put him under again to have a proper look, which is worrying in itself as he is a 9 year old snuffle bun who takes an age to recover, it might be that he already needs another dental or that the old tooth (which is a molar) will need taking out. Then I guess he will need taking back to the vets even more because he won't be eating enough hay or anything to grind down his teeth, let alone the one that is above this molar..

Beyond stressed out but trying to stay happy and everything so he doesn't get even more stressed out! I don't know if this ulcer on his tongue would be causing him trouble still..

Don't know what to do :(

Poor old chap :cry: How long ago was his Dental and was that when he was found to have an ulcer ?

Is he drinking more than normal ?

When the Vet did the Dental did he/she say what the findings were, apart from the ulcer ?

Poor old chap :cry: How long ago was his Dental and was that when he was found to have an ulcer ?

Is he drinking more than normal ?

When the Vet did the Dental did he/she say what the findings were, apart from the ulcer ?

I forget how old he is sometimes, he looks like a baby still!

Dental was 11th November I think so nearly 3 weeks. The emergency vet we saw said he needed his tooth extracting as it was pussing and dead. When he had his dental our usual vet said his one back molar is an older tooth but wasn't the long one, no pus either. The ulcer was found under GA during the dental by the longer tooth, I think there were 3 that needed burring . We then did 8 days of metacam after his dental.
He is drinking fine, no more than usual really. Weeing is normal too.

I can't remember what the vet said as my bf picked him up and he usually comes back to me later on "oh yeah and the vet said ......", but he said she told him the 'old' molar may need working on eventually but it was the spurs that seemed to be the problem. But he just isn't right still :? She also said (on Thursday) that it might be he needs another dental as she has had a rabbit go back 2-3 weeks between dentals.

It's stressing me out more having to put him through all of the vet trips and medicine because of how bad he gets, GA's and everything else aren't really crossing my mind. We stopped the medicine because it did more harm than good, he has perked up since this morning.

Last edited:
Was he prescribed any antibiotics ? I am wondering if he has some infection going on around the 'dead' tooth and/or in his gums.

Was he prescribed any antibiotics ? I am wondering if he has some infection going on around the 'dead' tooth and/or in his gums.

He was actually, it was only a week course though prescribed by the emergency vet. We carried on after the dental but it was only oral baytril so not sure what sort of effect that would have really.
Our usual vet said she had a good look at the molar/gum and it wasn't red or inflamed which is what the emergency vet had said 2 days prior. It was (and still is) mind boggling being told all these different things!

And I've just remembered he has 2 little sore patches on each of his feet! Little lumps around the heel area, so now he has blankets down over his other blankets which I think may have been too abrasive for him.

Poor wee Kerbie :( No advice to offer but sending feel better vibes and prayers with all due speed. :)

Back