• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny eye

beki

Mama Doe
Ruby has a runny eye with a wet patch on her cheek, it looks as though she has been crying. I have just wiped it with warm water on kitchen roll, no funny colours came off on the kitchen roll (no gunk or anything) is this something I am best keeping an eye on for a few days to see if it changes or take her to a vet asap?

Otherwise she seems pretty healthy. I've got her hopping around the kitchen at the moment and she is being so nosey looking into everything!

Thanks

Can you have a look to see if she has a foreign body in her eye like a husk from the hay? Otherwise it may be tooth related.

I can't see anything in her eye. is there any way I can tell if it's her teeth or is it a vet trip to find out? Thanks

I can't see anything in her eye. is there any way I can tell if it's her teeth or is it a vet trip to find out? Thanks

Tooth root elongation can only be diagnosed from radiographs.

It may not be Dental related but you do need to consult a Vet to obtain a diagnosis, good luck xx

Thanks jane, I'll see if I can get her into the vets over the next day or two. The vet checks her teeth and feels her cheeks at each check up for vaccinations and has always said they look good so hopefully it's not teeth. She eats plenty of hay. I must admit she hasn't been getting through as much food as I was expecting but having recently going from two buns to one after reggie died I'm not sure exactly how much she eats on her own so maybe I have been overfeeding her. Can bunnies get conjunctivitis? Though there isn't any goo coming out. Maybe she has just been sat in a draft?

Thanks jane, I'll see if I can get her into the vets over the next day or two. The vet checks her teeth and feels her cheeks at each check up for vaccinations and has always said they look good so hopefully it's not teeth. She eats plenty of hay. I must admit she hasn't been getting through as much food as I was expecting but having recently going from two buns to one after reggie died I'm not sure exactly how much she eats on her own so maybe I have been overfeeding her. Can bunnies get conjunctivitis? Though there isn't any goo coming out. Maybe she has just been sat in a draft?

Yes, Rabbits can get conjunctivitis but it does not sound as though she has an active infection (can say for certain, obviously) but more a problem with the drainage of the nasolacrimal duct. So tears cant drain inwards. This can happen as a result of the tooth *roots* (ie that which cannot be seen without xrays) elongating and press on the duct.

Can I ask what can actually be done if the roots are elongated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cassie has a weepy eye a few weeks ago. The vet tried to do a tear duct flush while conscious but it was not too successful (some gunk did come out) anyway she was given some drops and about 4-5 weeks later she is still OK (it cleared up within a day or so).

If it is diagnosed as root elongation, then dentals to burr the teeth down take the pressure off. Hopefully it will be a little blockage and can be sorted with drops.

Back