• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

100% Free Range Rabbits?

Inlé-rah

Warren Scout
:wave: I was wondering if anybody has any 100% free range bunnies, who are free 24/7 and don't get caged at all.
My bunnies are partly free range, they get caged at night when I can't supervise them or if I'm not at home. I'd love to have mine free-roaming permanently, so was wondering if anybody else does this, and do you encounter any problems?

Mine do but only in certain rooms :lol:
Marble and Billy have a room to themselves.
Maizie and Daisy currently only have part of the living room as Freddie is in the other half during the day. At night Freddie is free range in my bedroom. When they're a trio, they'll free range the living room 24/7.

Only problems are chewing of skirting boards, and digging/ripping carpet. If you take precautions in advance there should be no issues.

ETA: I would allow mine to free range the entire flat if I only had one pair or had all 5 as a group

Me!!

He has an open cage as a base and free-ranges the entire house (warren) when I'm in. When out, he's confined to the kitchen. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boots has his own room, including stairs and landing, and free ranges in there. He is confined to that area if we aren't in, otherwise he free ranges, although he prefers to stay in his own territory mainly.

Mine do but only in certain rooms :lol:
Marble and Billy have a room to themselves.
Maizie and Daisy currently only have part of the living room as Freddie is in the other half during the day. At night Freddie is free range in my bedroom. When they're a trio, they'll free range the living room 24/7.

Only problems are chewing of skirting boards, and digging/ripping carpet. If you take precautions in advance there should be no issues.

ETA: I would allow mine to free range the entire flat if I only had one pair or had all 5 as a group

I was thinking of confining mine to certain rooms but allowing them to go free range 24/7
I have problems with mine chewing on skirting boards which is why I don't let them free range at night when I cant supervise them, I'm not 100% sure how to bunny proof skirting boards, I was thinking of getting some perspex panels or something? I also catch mine chewing on my radiators :shock: so I need to find a way to cover those too.
Apart from that the rooms are 100% bunny proofed with no cables or any dangerous lurking about :)

Me!!

He has an open cage as a base and free-ranges the entire house (warren) when I'm in. When out, he's confined to the kitchen. :)

How lovely that your bunny gets to have the entire house to himself when your in! What a lucky boy! I would like to eventually achieve something like this with my boys, but I think that will take me a long time

I was thinking of confining mine to certain rooms but allowing them to go free range 24/7
I have problems with mine chewing on skirting boards which is why I don't let them free range at night when I cant supervise them, I'm not 100% sure how to bunny proof skirting boards, I was thinking of getting some perspex panels or something? I also catch mine chewing on my radiators :shock: so I need to find a way to cover those too.
Apart from that the rooms are 100% bunny proofed with no cables or any dangerous lurking about :)
I've not found a way to stop it. Only 2 of mine do it and they don't do much damage, they mostly just take the paint off :roll:
You could put perspex panels along the wall, or c&c squares. In my old flat I covered them with fabric, damage was lessened because it was harder work for them :lol:

Boots has his own room, including stairs and landing, and free ranges in there. He is confined to that area if we aren't in, otherwise he free ranges, although he prefers to stay in his own territory mainly.

Boots looks absolutely beautiful in your signature! I'm hoping to have mine roaming 24/7 in their rooms. I do have a territorial peeing/pooping problem with my hare when he's out of his cage, but thats most likely because he is not yet neutered, I'm getting him neutered soon! I'm hoping that fixes the peeing/pooping problem so he gets a lot more freedom :)

I've not found a way to stop it. Only 2 of mine do it and they don't do much damage, they mostly just take the paint off :roll:
You could put perspex panels along the wall, or c&c squares. In my old flat I covered them with fabric, damage was lessened because it was harder work for them :lol:

The fabric is a good idea, mine would probably chew through the fabric instantly though haha. My hare has OCD so when he finds a chewing project he will NOT leave it alone for hours until he is satisfied :roll: He's like my little carpenter
Love the C&C square ideas, do you have any ideas on where I could get them from? I have trouble finding them for some reason!

The fabric is a good idea, mine would probably chew through the fabric instantly though haha. My hare has OCD so when he finds a chewing project he will NOT leave it alone for hours until he is satisfied :roll: He's like my little carpenter
Love the C&C square ideas, do you have any ideas on where I could get them from? I have trouble finding them for some reason!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Wire-Cube-Storage-System/dp/B0050SVZ9M

You can do a Google search. They're more common in America, but if you search "cube system storage uk" or similar they usually pop up :)

"Carpenter" :lol:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Wire-Cube-Storage-System/dp/B0050SVZ9M

You can do a Google search. They're more common in America, but if you search "cube system storage uk" or similar they usually pop up :)

Ah! Thanks for the link :D I'll have to purchase some after I've paid for all the neutering :thumb:
I live in a rented flat so it's important I protect my skirting boards :lol: I suppose I could use the C&C squares to cover my radiator too :) I'd just really love to have them free roaming 24/7, I think they would be a lot happier

Ah! Thanks for the link :D I'll have to purchase some after I've paid for all the neutering :thumb:
I live in a rented flat so it's important I protect my skirting boards :lol: I suppose I could use the C&C squares to cover my radiator too :) I'd just really love to have them free roaming 24/7, I think they would be a lot happier
It depends how much damage, I just painted over the chew marks when I moved :lol::lol:
You might find a good deal on another website or on selling sites.

It depends how much damage, I just painted over the chew marks when I moved :lol::lol:
You might find a good deal on another website or on selling sites.

My hare does the most damage with chewing, he chews anything he can get his teeth on, but doesn't chew his own toys much :roll: my mini lop has a small nibble now and again but doesn't really cause that much damage.
Haha I think I might need to paint over mine when I move :lol: I hope nobody notices the teeth marks :lol: I could try bitter apple spray but I bet my bunnies would end up liking the taste :roll: :lol:

My hare does the most damage with chewing, he chews anything he can get his teeth on, but doesn't chew his own toys much :roll: my mini lop has a small nibble now and again but doesn't really cause that much damage.
Haha I think I might need to paint over mine when I move :lol: I hope nobody notices the teeth marks :lol: I could try bitter apple spray but I bet my bunnies would end up liking the taste :roll: :lol:
I tried pretty much every suggestion I found online and none worked :lol:
If your hare chews everything and anything, be careful with furniture :lol:

I tried pretty much every suggestion I found online and none worked :lol:
If your hare chews everything and anything, be careful with furniture :lol:

We have a lot of cables in the bedroom (because I have a snake and his cables for heating and things are everywhere), and we have a pc and tv in the living room. So I will probably keep the living room and bedroom out of bounds but let them have a room or 2 rooms each to play 24/7 :)
I'll give the C&C grids a go to protect my skirting boards once both buns are neutered, and hopefully I will have 2 happy free range bunnies!

Are your free range buns good at using their litter trays? My hare's 100% litter trained in his dog crate but pee's/poops everywhere when he's let out. but I'm hoping neutering will help settle that down :thumb:

We have a lot of cables in the bedroom (because I have a snake and his cables for heating and things are everywhere), and we have a pc and tv in the living room. So I will probably keep the living room and bedroom out of bounds but let them have a room or 2 rooms each to play 24/7 :)
I'll give the C&C grids a go to protect my skirting boards once both buns are neutered, and hopefully I will have 2 happy free range bunnies!

Are your free range buns good at using their litter trays? My hare's 100% litter trained in his dog crate but pee's/poops everywhere when he's let out. but I'm hoping neutering will help settle that down :thumb:
Sounds like a good plan :)

If you're going to allow freedom it's best to set up several litter trays.
My big girl only ever goes in her tray, her husbun pees in the tray but still does some poos out of it, we're working on that though!
My 2 girls are well litter trained usually. At the moment they're marking territory because of Freddie so im getting some stray poos but nothing major.
Freddie is the same as the girls. When he's in my room, he only goes in the tray, when he's in the living room he marks his territory so goes everywhere.
When they're bonded I expect that to be resolved.
All of my buns only pee in the litter tray which I think is the most important :lol:

Yours will probably be a little bit messy until he's secured his territory. I think neutering will make a difference, particularly to peeing.

Sounds like a good plan :)

If you're going to allow freedom it's best to set up several litter trays.
My big girl only ever goes in her tray, her husbun pees in the tray but still does some poos out of it, we're working on that though!
My 2 girls are well litter trained usually. At the moment they're marking territory because of Freddie so im getting some stray poos but nothing major.
Freddie is the same as the girls. When he's in my room, he only goes in the tray, when he's in the living room he marks his territory so goes everywhere.
When they're bonded I expect that to be resolved.
All of my buns only pee in the litter tray which I think is the most important :lol:

Yours will probably be a little bit messy until he's secured his territory. I think neutering will make a difference, particularly to peeing.

That's good to know :D I don't mind a few stray poops, it's when they are on every inch of the floor space and pee in every corner of the room that irritates me :lol: It's another reason why I have to keep constant watch on them and why I don't let them free roam at night. I'll have to get a few more litter trays after they are neutered, hopefully that will encourage better litter training habits :D
I'm really looking forward to having them completely free range! I'm planning on attempting to bond them once they are both neutered but not sure how that will go seeing as they are both male, my hare was hand reared and loves human company more than anything, my mini lop is more reserved and I think would benefit from being with another bun. Maybe if it doesn't work out I will adopt a female mini lop from the shelter to keep him company

Last edited:
That's good to know :D I don't mind a few stray poops, it's when they are on every inch of the floor space and pee in every corner of the room :lol: It's another reason why I have to keep constant watch on them and why I don't let them free roam at night. I'll have to get a few more litter trays after they are neutered, hopefully that will encourage better litter training habits :D
I'm really looking forward to having them completely free range! I'm planning on attempting to bond them once they are both neutered but not sure how that will go seeing as they are both male, my hare was hand reared and loves human company more than anything, my mini lop is more reserved and I think would benefit from being with another bun. Maybe if it doesn't work out I will adopt a female mini lop from the shelter to keep him company
I always say I don't mind poops. They're easy to clean up!

Bonding 2 males is easier than females apparently.
It's worth a try before taking on more buns, the worst that can happen is it doesn't work :)

Back