• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

snuffles

have you experienced snuffles and if so where did your bunny live at the time?

• My bunny has never had snuffles. He/she lived outdoors

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • My bunny has never had snuffles. He/she lived inddors.

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • My bunny has had snuffles. He/she lived outdoors.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • My bunny has had snuffles. He/she lived indoors.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • My bunny has had snuffles. He/she lived indoors and outdoors.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • My bunny has had snuffles. He/she lived indoors and outdoors.

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Have you experienced snuffles and where does your bunny live? I am curious. Only one that applies to me is the top option, none of my 4 buns have has snuffles and they all lived outside. Please check all that apply.

Last edited:
Mottle is always sneezing (he was an indoor rabbit in his old home, outdoor at the rescue, indoors when he first came to me then outdoor and now indoor again)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vet says his lungs are clear though so not upper respiratory infection. (Phew).

His sneezing is the same in or outside.

Mottle is always sneezing (he was an indoor rabbit in his old home, outdoor at the rescue, indoors when he first came to me then outdoor and now indoor again)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vet says his lungs are clear though so not upper respiratory infection. (Phew).

His sneezing is the same in or outside.

mabels the same, at first I thought maybe due to her being a dental bun, but now after ruling things out, can only put it down to sensitivity to something, although no idea what, certain times of year she does seem worse, we had option of maybe trying her on an antihistamine but I havn't gone any further with it yet, as at the moment she is not as bad as other month, and I am worried about long term effects on her, don't want to break her by giving her meds when unsure

Santa had snuffles, she was always outdoors. Hers was due to elongated tooth roots because of her flat little nethie face.

I replied that my bunny has had snuffles and that she lives outdoors. She has lived indoors too, but I chose outdoors because she'd been living outdoors for about 2 and a half years when she developed snuffles. Wasn't sure whether you were trying to get a poll about people routinely bringing their rabbit indoors/outdoors and the incidence of snuffles.

Beano and Gordon lived outdoors for about 4 years, they've never had snuffles, they know live inside and are still fine. Boris had snuffles and he lived indoors, although I found him as a stray and he had them then and didn't know where he'd come from though

It depends what you mean by 'snuffles' because my understanding is that's a respiratory tract infection, but upper or lower? Also, caused by what? But equally, are you talking about any respiratory disorder, of which there are many, that can present by laboured breathing, coughing/sneezing, etc.

I always understood respiratory tract infections (such as pastuerella, bordatella, etc) were present in all bunnies but stayed dormant unless the bunny got run down and then the bacteria raised it head and multiplied and caused the infection. So one also needs to question what happened just before the diagnosis of 'snuffles'.

I had one who had a respiratory tract infection and that arose after he was found, half dead, at three weeks old, in a box. A URTI was a small price to pay for all he'd been through (and all he would have to go through in the future). I've had other respiratory disorders, such as allergies, pallat issues, genetic malformations, previously unidentified cancers. I also had acute pneumonia develop in a bunny who was seriously ill with no hope of recovery- that was when we called it a day.

I've always thought that a snuffles bun was one with a full blown pasturella infection that needed management as opposed to a cure.

My Poppy currently has a mild upper respiratory infection. She is on a short course of baytril to see if it clears up. She is likely a mini lop cross and the vet says she has the smallest nostrils he has ever seen on a bunny, he was surprised she could even breath normally through them :shock: :(

However he does not think she has what I would class as snuffles as her only symptoms are occasional sneezing and the teensiest bit of clear nasal discharge. Her lungs are clear, input and output normal, ears and eyes are normal, temperature normal and she is acting normal too :thumb:

So erm no idea what to put on the poll :lol: she lives indoors, she has had a upper respiratory tract infection but I would not consider her a snuffles bun!

I have similar questions as those raised by Sky-O.

I have had 5 rabbits with lower respiratory infections. 4 were definitely due to pasteurella, 1 was most probably pasteurella, so all five had the same bacterial infection as a 'snuffles bun', but displayed no outward snuffly symptoms as the bacteria was in their lungs.

My quad of siblings all went down with pasteurella in their lungs, one died and three survived. It was acute pasteurellosis, Cinnamon died within 6 hours of becoming unwell. Nutmeg, Saffron and Pepper had a long road to recovery. Only Nutmeg went on to develop a slight snuffly nose and runny eyes, but this was nothing compared to the infection in the lower respiratory tract.

More recently I lost my Wally to a lower respiratory infection, most probably pasteurella. The trigger was thought to be the trauma he suffered from an appalling castration procedure which lead to a severe infection. He recovered from the botched castration, but later developed the lung infection.

Back