• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Know I shouldn't Take It To Heart........

Inlé-rah

Warren Scout
My mini lop HATES the dust pan and brush and tonight I was sweeping his house out whilst he was playing and he ninja'd in his cage at high speed to attack the brush but missed, and bit my hand instead :( very hard might I add, it's bruised already
I know he wasn't attacking me intentionally but I can't help but take it to heart and feel bad due to suffering from severe depression which is triggered from my bulimia...
I even did a test afterwards and put my hand in the cage, and the brush. and he attacked the brush and not me, and came up to me for head rubs after.

I am aware that his behaviour will improve once he is neutered and bonded... I'm working on that.

Last edited:
Aww :( he didn't mean it!

If it's any consolation I have found that buns are fascinated by dustpans, they always need to be either attacked, eaten, or tossed about (normally when full and making a mess!)

Hopefully you are right and after his neuter he will calm down and see it more as a toy. Maybe in the mean time try to sweep up his cage when he is no in it? Although I love interacting with my buns during clean outs.

This is my Loki's idea of 'helping' with the cleaning :shock: :roll:

null_zpsfa3a2e11.jpg

When they are in that frame of mind they don't stop for IDs, are their eye sight isn't good up close. He was probably protecting you and/or his space from the evil alien dustpan invasion!

Yes, dust pans are evil and must be chewed or thrown!!

Sorry he bit you but he really didn't mean it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree they do think of them as toys! You could try a long handled dustpan and brush, I find they don't bother so much with those :thumb:

Thank you everyone :) That's made me feel lots better!
I clean his cage when he's not in it and when he's playing elsewhere but he does a silent bunny 500 and appears out of nowhere. It gave me quite a fright last night! I'm definitely going to be a lot more careful with the dustpan and brush from now on! I'm glad my bunny isn't the only one who hates dust pans and brushes :lol:

Oh I sympathise, bunny bites are the worst bites I've ever had! My Slipper loves biting me on a daily basis. I'd say 99% of the time I can dodge him, but the 1% I get bitten :roll:

Oh I sympathise, bunny bites are the worst bites I've ever had! My Slipper loves biting me on a daily basis. I'd say 99% of the time I can dodge him, but the 1% I get bitten :roll:

It's the worst animal bite I've encountered yet. It bruised instantly :( But thank god he didn't draw blood. I'm just glad he doesn't bite me intentionally, as that would make things very difficult. Can't wait to get him neutered so he calms down.
Ouch, Slipper's bites sound painful! At least you can dodge him most of the time!

I second the advise that bunnies have terrible eyesight and he almost definitely didn't mean to hurt you. For now a good idea might be to pick up all that you can with your hands (with some thick rubber gloves on) and only bring the dustpan and brush out for the smallest time possible just to avoid these mixups for a little while. Hanging the dustpan and brush on the outside of his enclosure where he can see it but not nibble at the rubber or the bristles may help too as he'll soon realise it only moves when you move it, and so it's not as scary.

I second the advise that bunnies have terrible eyesight and he almost definitely didn't mean to hurt you. For now a good idea might be to pick up all that you can with your hands (with some thick rubber gloves on) and only bring the dustpan and brush out for the smallest time possible just to avoid these mixups for a little while. Hanging the dustpan and brush on the outside of his enclosure where he can see it but not nibble at the rubber or the bristles may help too as he'll soon realise it only moves when you move it, and so it's not as scary.

Thank you, I feel a lot better now knowing that he definitely didn't mean to hurt me. Sometimes I leave the dustpan and brush in the playroom and he sniffs it and scents it but that's about it. But I THINK I know the problem....It's only just occurred to me and is a huge mistake on my behalf.....I've been using the same dust pan and brush for both of my male rabbits, so it obviously smells of my other male which I think is the reason why he attacked it, stupid me :(
I do feel awful, but I guess everybody makes silly mistakes.

It's the worst animal bite I've encountered yet. It bruised instantly :( But thank god he didn't draw blood. I'm just glad he doesn't bite me intentionally, as that would make things very difficult. Can't wait to get him neutered so he calms down.
Ouch, Slipper's bites sound painful! At least you can dodge him most of the time!

I've kept a lot of animals over the years and I can honestly say that a rabbit & hamster bite are joint first on my top 10 worst bites!

Slipper bites bruise instantly, swell up and sometimes draw blood and very tender & painful for several days to the point where I wonder if it's gotten infected :oops: luckily we've come to a mutual understanding :lol: I know he loves me, his reaction at the vets a couple of months ago when he went in for a dental proved that :love: he stamped at the vet, wouldn't let him near him & jumped into my arms & buried his head under my coat :love: "save me mummy!" It's just dinner time when he turns into Slipper the Terrible :roll::lol:

I've kept a lot of animals over the years and I can honestly say that a rabbit & hamster bite are joint first on my top 10 worst bites!

Slipper bites bruise instantly, swell up and sometimes draw blood and very tender & painful for several days to the point where I wonder if it's gotten infected :oops: luckily we've come to a mutual understanding :lol: I know he loves me, his reaction at the vets a couple of months ago when he went in for a dental proved that :love: he stamped at the vet, wouldn't let him near him & jumped into my arms & buried his head under my coat :love: "save me mummy!" It's just dinner time when he turns into Slipper the Terrible :roll::lol:

I've not had a hamster bite yet, I love hamsters but I'm very preoccupied with my buns so I wouldn't have time for a hammy, otherwise I'd have one in a heartbeat. I own a corn snake too and apparently hamster bites are even worse than corn snake bites!
My bite is still bruised today but not as tender, Slippers bites sound very painful! I don't think my bite was half as bad as the Slipper bites your describing!
How lovely that he jumped into your arms at the vets, he must really love you and feel really safe with you to do that! Which one of your bunnies in your signature is Slipper? He sounds like a right character! :)

I used to keep and breed lots of different types of snakes, I still have 6 Royals. Believe me a snake bite is the least painful bite you can have & I was hospitalised after a bite from my 12ft retic!

This is Slipper:
79daf7a78ab800f6295c7d2e63e7718d.jpg

I used to keep and breed lots of different types of snakes, I still have 6 Royals. Believe me a snake bite is the least painful bite you can have & I was hospitalised after a bite from my 12ft retic!

This is Slipper:
79daf7a78ab800f6295c7d2e63e7718d.jpg

I love royal pythons, I'd love to own one of those, but space is limited. I have 2 bunnies and a snake in a one bedroom flat :lol: My flat is taken over by animals
Never been bitten by my snake yet (touch wood) but I doubt it would hurt :) He acts like a big man it's too funny, when I go into his vivarium he storms over to see what I'm doing :lol: When in actual fact he's a wuss and wouldn't hurt anyone :)
Wow a 12ft retic! I bet that bite was frightening!
Slipper is adorable :love: I love his tuft of hair! So lovely

My mini lop HATES the dust pan and brush and tonight I was sweeping his house out whilst he was playing and he ninja'd in his cage at high speed to attack the brush but missed, and bit my hand instead :( very hard might I add, it's bruised already
I know he wasn't attacking me intentionally but I can't help but take it to heart and feel bad due to suffering from severe depression which is triggered from my bulimia...
I even did a test afterwards and put my hand in the cage, and the brush. and he attacked the brush and not me, and came up to me for head rubs after.

I am aware that his behaviour will improve once he is neutered and bonded... I'm working on that.

I've got a lady who is like this with dust pans and even my hand if it's in front of her face :shock:

I love her to bits :lol: It's just her and I wouldn't swop her for all the tea in China!

I've got a lady who is like this with dust pans and even my hand if it's in front of her face :shock:

I love her to bits :lol: It's just her and I wouldn't swop her for all the tea in China!

Aww I'm glad I'm not the only one! :lol:
He's fine with most things, it's just the dust pan and brush he hates :lol: He's so feisty for a tiny rabbit

I love royal pythons, I'd love to own one of those, but space is limited. I have 2 bunnies and a snake in a one bedroom flat :lol: My flat is taken over by animals
Never been bitten by my snake yet (touch wood) but I doubt it would hurt :) He acts like a big man it's too funny, when I go into his vivarium he storms over to see what I'm doing :lol: When in actual fact he's a wuss and wouldn't hurt anyone :)
Wow a 12ft retic! I bet that bite was frightening!
Slipper is adorable :love: I love his tuft of hair! So lovely

Oh gosh I don't know how you can fit two bunnies into a 1 bed flat. I spent 11 months in one of those when I split with my ex, I had to leave Slipper with him & I had 30 snakes squished in my living room :shock:

Nope snakes don't hurt. They strike & release & it's so fast you don't feel anything. You don't even realise until you see the blood (tiny droplets like a needle pinprick)

What kind of corn is he? I've has anerthrystics, anerthrystic motley, ghost, snow, coral, butter and normal :love: love my corn morphs.

Slipper is a lop x lionhead x something else :lol: we're not sure what kind of lop either he's quite big for a dwarf but not large enough for a frenchie.

Back