• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

oof, my new house bunny has stinky wee. How to make the house habitable again?!

Grasshopper

Young Bun
We adopted a fourish year old male bun to keep our bereaved girl company. The best discription I've read for the smell when he wees is a cross between a tomcat and a goat. Not good ever but specially notwhat you want in your living/dining room when your partner's family are coming round for Christmas...
So here are my questions:
Is he always going to stink from being neutered so late?
If not is it likely to be because he's got a new girl? Or cos he's too hot inside?
Will Fitch bedding trap the odour faster than newspaper?
Is there anything I can give him to make it smell less pungent?
I change and clean the tray daily. He is in good health. I haven't checked his anal glands but he doesn't smell himself.
Thanks for any help

He probably thinks it's lovely! I have a bunny, neutered, whose urine smells. I think he does it deliberately but not sure. I started spraying the area where he "goes" with a pet safe cleaner which is also a deodorant, and the air is much better now. Is your new bunny now living with your doe?

What litter do you use - a paper/wood based cat litter is quite absorbent and might help.

Fitch is very good bedding/substrate and is far better at absorbing smells than newspaper. However you can't beat cleaning out the litter tray daily for keeping bunny pongs at bay!

we use Aubiose - you may also want to heck that he does not have a urine infection.

How long ago was he neutered?

Thanks for your replies everyone. He is living with my doe, Pickle. I'm not sure how long ago he was neutered but I think two months ago now at least. I use a good wadge of newspaper with hay on top. We notice the smell more in the evening, so maybe it's because the newspaper is getting damp by then. Have not suspected urine infection as he's not dribbling everywhere. Will investigate aubiose too. Never come across these litters before as always found newspaper did the trick- until now!

Thanks for your replies everyone. He is living with my doe, Pickle. I'm not sure how long ago he was neutered but I think two months ago now at least. I use a good wadge of newspaper with hay on top. We notice the smell more in the evening, so maybe it's because the newspaper is getting damp by then. Have not suspected urine infection as he's not dribbling everywhere. Will investigate aubiose too. Never come across these litters before as always found newspaper did the trick- until now!

Just been on the aubiose website. Looks like if you have a horse you just change the damp bits. Parsnip bun, do you do the same with the litter tray? Or change and clean every time?

I've used Aubiose and I used to scoop out the wet areas and replace with fresh daily. Then once a week, I'd empty the whole tray and replace with fresh. I still do the same with Megazorb, another horse bedding. I find wee tends to 'spread' more with Fitch, but I use that for the piggies who fire out poos everywhere so I always just empty the whole tray anyway.

I always found Megazorb to be more absorbant than Aubiose. Megazorb is soft and a bit dusty but very absorbant. Aubiose is not at all dusty but it's like tiny woodchips (except it's hemp) and I found that wee tended to pass through the gaps in the substrate through to the bottom of the tray. It still beats newspaper in terms of keeping pong to a minimum but I preferred Megazorb or Fitch.

Last edited:
Guinea pigs firing out poo's :lol::lol: how very very true.

I use fitch for my guinea pigs. Its great for absorbancy and softness. I would use it for the rabbits if I didnt have so many!

Back