• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

using a chicken coop and run?...

rachel

New Kit
Can anyone advise on using a large chicken coop and run for keeping two rabbits in and in particular if they have any experience of this kind of thing? Does the coop sleeping area work for their rabbits and how do you find a pull out floor for cleaning? And advice much appreciated.

http://www.chickencoopsandhouses.co.uk/cocoon-cc2500-chicken-coop-house.html
cc2500web3 (2).jpg

or this similar one

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/sherwo...=Sh&gclid=CIHd7vvJmcICFfHKtAodA2gAyA#LongDesc

They are the same dimensions 250cm x 120cm (155cm tall at highest point)

Ideally I would like something bigger but space is at a premium so I'm trying to maximise what I have.
Thanks very much

Coops generally don't provide enough indoor space for when the weather is miserable, and they're also really difficult to clean out!! What sort of space do you have?

We made the mistake of getting one similar to the bottom link when we got our buns. A couple of weeks later I discovered this forum and realised that it was WAY too small for them.

I also can't even BEGIN to explain what a pain they are to clean out. You need to be a yoga master to get into all the corners!

I had one of these. WHAT A PAIN to clean out. I gave it to the hamster in the end (she has since been upgraded to a 5 x 2 double story rabbit hutch because it was so hard to clean her out).

Would a small shed be an option? They are just the best to clean and you can add different levels for extra space and shelves for storage (hay, pellets, etc).

My outdoor rabbits have sheds and they are wonderfully easy to clean and to sit in with them even in the rain.

Thank you for all of your replies.

I have a flagged patio area about 8' x 5' to use. Then there is a step up to a different level. I like the idea of a shed. I have seen plenty of pictures of shed conversions. Are rabbits happy with minimal daylight? Do they need to be used in combination with a run? I have a grassed area which a separate run could be put in summer but in winter I suspect that this would be difficult to use very often.

thanks again!

I have a flagged patio area about 8' x 5' to use. Then there is a step up to a different level. I like the idea of a shed. I have seen plenty of pictures of shed conversions. Are rabbits happy with minimal daylight? Do they need to be used in combination with a run? I have a grassed area which a separate run could be put in summer but in winter I suspect that this would be difficult to use very often.

thanks again!

They do need daylight although like somewhere dark and cosy to hide in as well. They will happily sit in their runs even in the coldest weather so 24/7 access is preferable imo. Sounds like you have a great sized area to fit a very nice shed/run combo.

You could go for an enclosed housing resting on the edge of the step up, with a ramp down to the run on the 8'x5'.

Another one to look at would be a dog kennel - you can order them custom sized. Which is half shed/half aviary.

Do you have a photo of the area - might help us picture it :)

I've had two chicken coop style set ups (one of which met RSPCA minimum requirements) and I wouldn't recommend them either, they don't offer the best use of space for rabbits and tend to be difficult to clean without alternations.
The ones with pull out floors are a particularly bad idea for rabbits since they let in a draught, usually about the height of sleeping bunnies!

Are you able to use both levels or is it just the 8x5 area? Either way, I bet you could make great use of the space and have something that gives them everything they need. If you want to go for something a bit prettier than the usual hutch/run combo you could consider a wendy house (tend to be very good value compared to coops), and there are a few companies out there that can make attractive housing to your specifications.

The shed / run combo has so worked for me and my Buns, my shed has windows, which I can cover to block out light or uncover to let light in... and being able to sit inside with them, for hours if I want to Is A Total Dream Come True! The shed was affordable and another fab thing about it is that it can be customized to your and your Buns needs.
Run/s can be attached. I wouldn't house my outside Buns any other way now... The 'Outdoor Housing Thread' on this Forum taught me all I needed to know :thumb:

thanks again!

Rabbits do need daylight at normal times to function well, but that can easily be achieved with just a window which most sheds come with (or come with the option of!).

All sheds/hutches etc should be combined with a permanently attached run. The RWAF recommend a minimum size of 6 x 2 x 2ft hutch with an 8 x 4 x 2ft run so it sounds like you can fit that in your space which is great! Sheds are fantastic but may limit your bunnies space, so if that's the only real area which is available year round I'd be tempted to go for a large hutch/run setup such as this: http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/Under_Run/cat1466126_2022721.aspx. To maximise the space availabile, I'm sure welfare hutches would do an 8ft hutch/run combo with a 5ft long run underneath. It'd give more square footage for your bunnies!

Alternatively you mention your garden is on different levels. Lots of people have connected hutches/sheds to runs on different levels, up/down stairs and crossing paths by using the runaround system: http://www.runaround.co.uk. If you have some spare patio within 16ft or so it's totally useable. At the moment I have a single runaround tunnel which is 24ft long and the bunnies have no trouble scuttling down it!

I think I will go for the shed option and work out how to do a run attachment. I thought the runaround system was pretty nifty. Particularly liked the catflap/tubing combination. You have all been very useful and helped clarify things more than several hours of internet browsing. Thanks

I think I will go for the shed option and work out how to do a run attachment. I thought the runaround system was pretty nifty. Particularly liked the catflap/tubing combination. You have all been very useful and helped clarify things more than several hours of internet browsing. Thanks

The runaround system is amazing, I absolutely love mine! Hands down the best thing I've bought for the bunnies. I have a double door on each side of my tube so that I can block the door off without removing the tube. Comes in very handy when it's time for the vets!

Give us a shout if you need any more help, as I'm sure there'll be things that crop up during the shed building process! Plus I'm sure we'd all love to see pics :love:

I'm also thinking of getting a new house for my rabbits that would give them enough place to run. I'm also thinking of using a chicken run, but after reading all the comments here I have changed my mind.

I'm also thinking of getting a new house for my rabbits that would give them enough place to run. I'm also thinking of using a chicken run, but after reading all the comments here I have changed my mind.

Yes, I think they seem a good idea but in practice they aren't. The forum can be really good for advice/ideas.

Back