• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quality of life - how do you know?

BeatrixPotter

Mama Doe
My 8 year old dwarf lop Molly is recovering from surgery to remove an abscess from the base of her ear. It's the third abscess she has had in the same place each time in six months.:cry: This time the abscess was small to feel from the outside but went deep to her skull. Molly's facial nerve was damaged during the operation and at this stage the vet cannot say whether the damage is permanent or not. :cry:

She will be on antibiotics for the rest of her life and she is currently having metacam for pain too. Molly is eating, drinking and pooping fine but that's it. She is just sitting in the same place all the time looking old and tired. She is a house rabbit and has her own room. Right now I feel that her quality of life is very poor, the light has gone out in her eyes. I don't know what to do for her. I don't want her to go to the bridge but I hate to see her suffering. I can't really explain to the vet that she's just not right although she is a very bunny savvy vet, Gill at Windlesham.

Any advice would be great. Thanks for reading.

It's very difficult to say as someone outside of the situation but it sounds like you think it's her time but you're upset at the thought of losing her, which is totally understandable.

How long has she been in her current state?

Its a really hard one to judge and I am sorry you are in that position.:cry:

We kept Berry longer than most would have done. I don't regret it one minute and its not a criticism of those that may have helped him to the bridge earlier. Berry couldn't move much and needing cleaning several times a day. I was in a position to completely meet his needs and although his quality of life wasn't anywhere near what it had been, I felt it was still better than the alternative.

Each rabbit is different and all our views and gauges on quality are different. Even how we keep healthy rabbits and what constitutes quality is different. Only you know. If Molly is not in pain and you can interact and spend quality time with her to keep her interested and alert then maybe its not her time, if on the other hand she remains not bothered then maybe it is.

I lean to the 'who are we to measure quality' but again I l know I am in the minority. I appreciate I am not being much help - just couldn't read and run. This problem was with me for 6 months with Berry and every day I was in turmoil over it. In the end another illness forced our hand and there was no question to be had, he had gone into shock and slipped away very peacefully. What comforts me is that I have no regrets and no' should I have tried etc etc' I really feel for you and I am sure the decision you make will be in Mollys best interests. Hugs all round.

How long ago was the surgery? If she's down for a week or two post-op and then feels better I think that's different to feeling that way permanently.

I would explain her behaviour to the vet next time you see them. I know it's a bit weird to say she's just not right, but what you are really saying is I know this rabbit really well and I'm observing changes in her normal behaviour patterns that indicate she maybe be experiencing pain or another problems effecting her well-being. Vets observe patients all the time to help them diagnose problems and understand how an animal is feeling so it's helpful information, they won't think you are crazy :)

Back