• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting Buns Vaccinated Tomorrow, Nervous :( UPDATE

Inlé-rah

Warren Scout
I'm getting both my boys vaccinated tomorrow, I'm really nervous about it. I know it's only jabs and it's for the best but I'm really worried still. They haven't travelled much and I know the poor things are going to be terrified.
Sorting the carriers out tonight, going to put plenty of fleece blankets in them ready for the journey :(

Last edited:
I'm getting both my boys vaccinated tomorrow, I'm really nervous about it. I know it's only jabs and it's for the best but I'm really worried still. They haven't travelled much and I know the poor things are going to be terrified.
Sorting the carriers out tonight, going to put plenty of fleece blankets in them ready for the journey :(

I'm sure they will be fine! Reactions to the vaccine are mild on the whole, if the rabbit has any reaction at all.

Take a deep breath and know that you're protecting them from dreadful diseases :) xx

I'm sure they will be fine! Reactions to the vaccine are mild on the whole, if the rabbit has any reaction at all.

Take a deep breath and know that you're protecting them from dreadful diseases :) xx

Thank you for your kind supportive words. I just hope they will both be ok and won't be too stressed. It's the stress that I'm really worried about, I bet they are going to be terrified :( My vets are only 10-15 minutes away though so they won't be travelling for too long xx

Mine loathe being handled and loathe being herded into their carriers and are not exactly overjoyed at seeing the vet but, once home they all hop out, into their sheds/hutches and carry on as if nothing has happened.

Lots of calming vibes for tomorrow.

Mine loathe being handled and loathe being herded into their carriers and are not exactly overjoyed at seeing the vet but, once home they all hop out, into their sheds/hutches and carry on as if nothing has happened.

Lots of calming vibes for tomorrow.

It's good to know that your buns are fine as soon as they are home. Hopefully mine will be the same! I'm especially worried about my mini lop, he HATES people he doesn't know :(

It's good to know that your buns are fine as soon as they are home. Hopefully mine will be the same! I'm especially worried about my mini lop, he HATES people he doesn't know :(

Mine arent that keen on people that they do know! Seriously though. Even my complete and utter wuss, Snowflake is always totally fine within minutes of being home. (He is the white and black one in my sig. cuddled in the pink litter tray with Daisy and Tessie).

I was a bit nervous about vaccinations too when mine had theirs at the start of November. But I managed to get them in the carrier with food, they were good as gold for the vet and had no problem with the vaccination at all. Plus they were fine when they got home, they even got back in the carrier to eat the hay that I'd put in there! :lol:

Mine arent that keen on people that they do know! Seriously though. Even my complete and utter wuss, Snowflake is always totally fine within minutes of being home. (He is the white and black one in my sig. cuddled in the pink litter tray with Daisy and Tessie).

Your bunnies look so sweet! and Snowflake, what a lovely name! Glad to hear all of your buns were fine after they got home!
I think I'll give them their salad when they get back, hopefully that will help them forget about the trauma, poor buns :lol:

I was a bit nervous about vaccinations too when mine had theirs at the start of November. But I managed to get them in the carrier with food, they were good as gold for the vet and had no problem with the vaccination at all. Plus they were fine when they got home, they even got back in the carrier to eat the hay that I'd put in there! :lol:

Glad to hear your buns coped well! That's really sweet that they went back in the carrier to eat the hay! :)
I think I'll be using the good old food bribe to get mine into their carriers too! :lol:

Aww try not to worry they will be OK and will have forgotten all about it soon! Its good its only a short journey for them too :) my bunnies have always been fine with jabs, it's so important so just remember its for the best :) make sure you have a blanket over their carrier too so they don't encounter any other animals in the vet waiting room(my bridge bunny Jessica used to really thump when I covered her over though :roll:) he he! Xxx

Aww try not to worry they will be OK and will have forgotten all about it soon! Its good its only a short journey for them too :) my bunnies have always been fine with jabs, it's so important so just remember its for the best :) make sure you have a blanket over their carrier too so they don't encounter any other animals in the vet waiting room(my bridge bunny Jessica used to really thump when I covered her over though :roll:) he he! Xxx

Thank you for the lovely message :) I just worry about them so much :( God knows what I'll be like when I drop them off to be neutered! I'll be a wreck!
I have lined the carriers with fleece blankets so it's nice and comfy for them tomorrow, and will putting a small toy or two in the carrier which smells of them, so they know they are safe.
Good idea to cover the carrier too, I don't want them being even more scared due to other animals in the waiting room, I'll take a couple of blankets with me.
Aww Jessica thumping because she didn't want to be covered :lol: That's so sweet xxx

UPDATE:
I got the buns vaccinated today, they were absolutely terrified of the vet, especially my mini lop. The vet had to pin him down :( I found the vet very brusk & abrupt but she was confident and knew what she was talking about, so I suppose that's all that matters.
The buns didn't eat when they got home and sulked for a while, but they've both finally eaten their salad and are currently playing
Now I just have to put some money aside to get them neutered :thumb:

UPDATE:
I got the buns vaccinated today, they were absolutely terrified of the vet, especially my mini lop. The vet had to pin him down :( I found the vet very brusk & abrupt but she was confident and knew what she was talking about, so I suppose that's all that matters.
The buns didn't eat when they got home and sulked for a while, but they've both finally eaten their salad and are currently playing
Now I just have to put some money aside to get them neutered :thumb:

Phew, glad you have that hurdle over and they are eating again :D

Not sure I like the sound of your vet. Knowledge and compassion go a long way in my book!

Good luck for the forthcoming neuters xx

Thomas took it upon himself to try and defend Emily from the big needle when I took her for her VHD jab... which was lovely and heroic but a bit of a pain! I have to take them to the vet together or they freak out - they're needy little guys. Emily hopped into a cardboard box the other day and he freaked out because he couldn't find her. I'm pretty sure she was sniggering to herself in there...

Phew, glad you have that hurdle over and they are eating again :D

Not sure I like the sound of your vet. Knowledge and compassion go a long way in my book!

Good luck for the forthcoming neuters xx

I'm glad it's over and done with too! It was horrible seeing my bunnies hunched up in the carriers but at least now they are protected.
I really didn't like the girl that saw my rabbit's today. I was very friendly as usual and tried to make the situation a bit nicer as I was nervous, but it's like she just wanted it over and done with quickly, I felt like I was a huge inconvenience!
I have been using this veterinary centre for a while now, when I had gerbil's the vet I saw was so caring, professional, and offered plenty of advice....She helped my gerbil so much when he got cancer. But this girl!? I wasn't impressed..... I think I might request to see a different vet next time, especially when I take them in for neutering. I don't want my rabbit's being "manhandled" and pinned down again :( xx

Thomas took it upon himself to try and defend Emily from the big needle when I took her for her VHD jab... which was lovely and heroic but a bit of a pain! I have to take them to the vet together or they freak out - they're needy little guys. Emily hopped into a cardboard box the other day and he freaked out because he couldn't find her. I'm pretty sure she was sniggering to herself in there...

Awww Thomas sounds like such a little character! How lovely that he was protecting Emily from the needle! He must really love her :love:

I'm glad it's over and done with too! It was horrible seeing my bunnies hunched up in the carriers but at least now they are protected.
I really didn't like the girl that saw my rabbit's today. I was very friendly as usual and tried to make the situation a bit nicer as I was nervous, but it's like she just wanted it over and done with quickly, I felt like I was a huge inconvenience!
I have been using this veterinary centre for a while now, when I had gerbil's the vet I saw was so caring, professional, and offered plenty of advice....She helped my gerbil so much when he got cancer. But this girl!? I wasn't impressed..... I think I might request to see a different vet next time, especially when I take them in for neutering. I don't want my rabbit's being "manhandled" and pinned down again :( xx

I dont beeping blame you ...

I dont beeping blame you ...

Surely being a vet she should know how fragile and sensitive rabbits are to rough handling. I was so irritated after I left the vets this morning!
My mini lop has been nervous all afternoon after all that rough handling :(

Back