• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can I use to cover up the mesh doors in the winter??

Perspex?
A panel of wood?

If you put tarpaulin etc tight enough it shouldn't flap but other than something solid, most things might

I use long door mat runners like these to cover hutch doors at night:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/William-Arm...qid=1417073718&sr=1-8&keywords=doormat+runner

Put hooks along the top of the hutch and make corresponding holes (use a hot spike to melt it through, or a belt hole punch) about an inch down along the edge of the mat and just hang them up. If they are corded side towards the hutch, the outside is waterproof. They are reasonably heavy so don't flap about normally. On really windy nights, wrap a bungee cord round the bottom - put extra hooks at the side so you can just hook them on. They also help to keep the heat in at night and last for years.

I use long door mat runners like these to cover hutch doors at night: [...] Put hooks along the top of the hutch and make corresponding holes (use a hot spike to melt it through, or a belt hole punch) about an inch down along the edge of the mat and just hang them up. If they are corded side towards the hutch, the outside is waterproof. They are reasonably heavy so don't flap about normally. On really windy nights, wrap a bungee cord round the bottom - put extra hooks at the side so you can just hook them on. They also help to keep the heat in at night and last for years.
That's a really good idea!

My temporary solution is the lid from a 32L box bungee-corded to the front. It works quite well on my setup (i.e. no rain ingress) but it's a pain to move for access in my case.

So far I have used pieces of the thermawrap insulation stapled to the top of the mesh doors and left to hang freely, it stays in place when I cover the front with an old tablecloth and if it's windy i'll peg them together at sides and bottom. Then in the mornings I just fold it a few times and use the peg to secure so it stays put. Seems to work ok (leaving air gap etc..) Of course what I really want is pretty painted wooden shutters made to measure ;-)

Last year we made our own hutch door covers as we had the runaround tunnels attached to the front. They were made out of cardboard and covered with the thick plastic bags we get the Megazorb in. They had a 'U' shaped slot in the front to fit over the runaround. Our hutch doors have the support wood in the corners so we cut back the corners to allow 'air circulation holes'.

We also cover the hutch in tarpaulin and since it is a double hutch we use 2 lengths of bungee cords to hold down the front in the wind. The bungee cords are attached to hooks screwed into the side of the hutch.

This year we need to make some new covers as we have moved the runaround and attached it to the side of the hutch. When we make the new covers it will mean the hutch will be in darkness (except for the corners) during the day, although I don't think the bunnies would be bothered about that as it would make it a bit like a warren. Ideally I want to get some polycarbonate sheets made up next year and get a clear tarpaulin.

I have thick plastic sheeting over the mesh front of my kennel and run set ups. I'll have to take a pic as I don't think I can explain it very well, but it's like a roller blind with the 'roller' bit being done manually.

The plastic sheet is cut to size and the top and bottom edges are sandwiched between wooden strips. There are hooks on the wooden edges of the 'blind' which go into large screweyes on the accommodation, two at the top and two at the bottom. It needs to be an exact fit, the top is hooked on first and then the slight give/stretch in the plastic allows the bottom of the blind to be hooked into place, leaving a nice tight fit so the hooks cannot slip out of the screweyes. To get into the accommodation I unhook the bottom edge, manually roll the blind up and pop it onto the roof.

My OH made them and they work brilliantly. they have withstood some really wild and windy weather. We had to replace the plastic sheeting recently, but only because it had deteriorated in the sunlight (as plastic does) and was starting to become brittle.

Back