• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump on side after eating

weedug

Mama Doe
Bailey has had a recent spell of not eating. He is doing all right now, but he gets a large lump on his left side after he has been eating.

Anyone any idea what this could be? He is at the vet again tomorrow so it will be checked then.

Did he have any Xrays when he was admitted ? It sounds as though his stomach is very slow emptying and becoming very distended :?

He did have x rays. Showed his caecum was full but not impacted. They weren't sure if his system had slowed down or not. He is definitely bigger now.

He is still eating and pooping, but his poops are getting very big again.

Is there anything that can be done, if that's what it is? He is still on 2 gut stimulants, ranitidine and cisapride.

Oh Bailey!!

I've no advice but paws crossed here. :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. His tummy feels like a balloon filled with water. I'm not going to poke about with it to feel anything else, but I've checked 2 other tummies and they don't feel like that.

He is still bright so I am happy enough to wait for tomorrow since his appointment is in the morning.

Could it just be his stomach? If he's lost some body fat from being poorly and his stomach is getting used to food passing through again, it might just be that you can feel his full tummy through the thinner layer of fat. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about. x

It might be his tummy that I can see, but the feeling is all over the back end underneath him. I hope I'm just being paranoid.

When he was first ill and I managed to get him to eat something, I could see him swelling at the same area.

It might be his tummy that I can see, but the feeling is all over the back end underneath him. I hope I'm just being paranoid.

When he was first ill and I managed to get him to eat something, I could see him swelling at the same area.

If his cecum is not functioning properly that can eventually cause things to slow down higher up in the GI tract too. I expect the Vet may suggest an ultrasound of his abdomen to try to see if his cecum is emptying normally

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

If a problem with the motility of the cecum were to be an issue then maybe the Vet might suggest using a drug called Domperidone.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...AEwCA#v=onepage&q=domperidone rabbits&f=false

Sending lots more vibes xx

Thank you all for the vibes, and thanks Jane for the info. Bailey had a scan and x ray when he was at D1ck vet. They said it showed his cecum had a lot of dried material in it, but it wasn't fully impacted so they couldn't diagnose that yet. There were no lesions in it. I think they said there was dried material in his colon too, but there definitely was in his cecum.

They thought it might be a GI problem more common in English rabbits (Bailey has some English in him), and led me to believe if it was then there was nothing that could be done :?. He was sent home to see what happens within 4 days, which is when they reckoned the symptoms would probably start up again.

His tummy doesn't feel quite so big again this morning, although I think it feels a little bit puffy. I suppose they will have a good poke around and see what his insides feel like. Unless they are totally happy, I hope they will keep him in again.

Back