• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible tooth abscessl? u/d now got depocillin

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
Just taken one of my buns to the vet as noticed it was not eating normally. Checked all over and tummy, temp etc were fine. Would not stay still while checking the mouth but the vet is not sure if she saw a possible white spot on the gum at the front and said it "could" be an abcess so wants to admit for further investigation tomorrow.

If it is she immediately mentioned incisor removal. Would this be the norm to do straight away or to try to treat with abx of some sort?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think the Vet will need to obtain a much more detailed picture of what is going on. The 'white spot' on the gum may be an ulcer, not an abscess. So abx may not even be appropriate. Incisor removal is sometimes necessary in cases of malocclusion and/or a tooth root abscess. I would expect the Vet to take xrays etc first as what is going on below the surface is also a factor that needs to be taken into account. Hopefully the Vet will be better able to examine inside the mouth if Bun is sedated.

Hope all goes well xx

Just taken one of my buns to the vet as noticed it was not eating normally. Checked all over and tummy, temp etc were fine. Would not stay still while checking the mouth but the vet is not sure if she saw a possible white spot on the gum at the front and said it "could" be an abcess so wants to admit for further investigation tomorrow.

If it is she immediately mentioned incisor removal. Would this be the norm to do straight away or to try to treat with abx of some sort?

Thanks

A good vet will not jump to remove incisors without further investigation. Incisors are usually removed in cases of malocclusion or tooth root abscess. The white spot you've described sounds very much like a mouth ulcer, and could have been caused by a piece of hay poking the tender gums.

Once your rabbit is sedated, the vet will get a much better picture of what (if anything) is going on.

Good luck for tomorrow :wave:

Thank you, you have confirmed my thoughts.

My husband did say he went in this morning and he had shredded some of the wood inside the shed so maybe he cut it. Now to get him to take the metacam :roll: He is eating some science selective so want to make sure some food is in him.

Rambo is coming round slowly.

Basically one of his lower front incisors was broken and when vet went to touched it it came out. It has left the root in so will probably grow back.

She wants to see him on a weekly basis to see how it is growing back and to check that the upper incisor is not getting too long. She said she did consider trimming that back but at this point did not want to do this.

He also had x-rays and there is no sign of inflammation. He is coming home with painkiller and abx.

Rambo is coming round slowly.

Basically one of his lower front incisors was broken and when vet went to touched it it came out. It has left the root in so will probably grow back.

She wants to see him on a weekly basis to see how it is growing back and to check that the upper incisor is not getting too long. She said she did consider trimming that back but at this point did not want to do this.

He also had x-rays and there is no sign of inflammation. He is coming home with painkiller and abx.

Really good news, that there's no abscess! Do you think he broke the tooth chewing on the shed?

Oh gosh typical Rambo getting into mischief! Wonder what he did to break a tooth? I suppose you will never know. Bluebell, Rocky and Nomnom send there well wishes and hope he feels better soon. Just a tip for the metacam I stick a bit of banana on the end of the syringe so they bite it then squeeze it in!

Oh gosh typical Rambo getting into mischief! Wonder what he did to break a tooth? I suppose you will never know. Bluebell, Rocky and Nomnom send there well wishes and hope he feels better soon. Just a tip for the metacam I stick a bit of banana on the end of the syringe so they bite it then squeeze it in!

Rambo says thank you for their well wishes. We have no idea how he fractured it, vet said he could have knocked it or just one of those things.

Thank you to everyone else too.

So, basically his tooth was fractured quite a way down and it would appear there is a bit of infection in there but no abscess and not in the bone thankfully. Hopefully we have caught it early.

He has had metacam and is on baytril for a week to hopefully clear the infection and we also have more metacam. We go back next week for a check up but any signs of him not getting back to normal the we will be straight back.

X-rays showed that his teeth were in pretty good shape so pretty pleased with that. Fingers crossed that the infection clears quickly and his toothy peg grows back the right way.
All meds are injectable so we know he will be getting them OK. @Lady Logamorph - we put metacam into a piece of banana and he refused that when he would normally go mental for it.

We also tried it in herbs, kale, on a shreddie. Nope, he was not having it. He is certainly a bun with attitude but that is why we love him so much.

He is eating hay at the moment so hopefully he may feel like a few pellets in a couple of hours.

Last edited:
oh dear he must be feeling poorly if he's not even taking banana! Looks like it might be a hold and force one then but I suppose you will have to be careful if his mouth is sore and he's a big strong bunny to try and hold...also if he gets grumpy he nips which I'm sure you have found out :shock: Glad it's not gone to the bone...hope it grows back ok and he has a fast recovery.

Thank you. He is starting to eat more now thankfully. He would not entertain syringe feed. He did nip me at the vets so have a nice bruise. He is forgiven though as he must have been in lot of pain.

We took Rambo for his check up today and his tooth is not showing yet but he still has some infection so he is now on depocillin every other day for 10 days. We go back just before he finishes the course for another check up.

If we happened to get any on his fur (not that we are planning to!!), do we just wipe it off or have to wash it in case Cassie licks it as I understand it is toxic to buns if they have any orally?

He is OK in himself but yesterday afternoon started to get a bit fussy with his food.

It is a good idea to wipe off any leakage with a damp cotton wool pad, then dry off the area using some kitchen towel. This will also massage the injection site and help to disperse the depocillin. I'd keep them separate for half an hour or so after giving the injection too as if she immediately licks the injection site some depocillin can leak out.

I'd keep a close eye on his input and output. If his eating continues to decrease and/or if his poo changes then you need to contact the Vet straight away for advice. I have had numerous Rabbits on Depocillin, some having it daily initially and some on it every 2 days for months on end. Only one Rabbit had a bad reaction to it. But it is classed as a 'high risk' abx so it's a good idea to be extra vigilant.

Hope it clears the infection xx

It is a good idea to wipe off any leakage with a damp cotton wool pad, then dry off the area using some kitchen towel. This will also massage the injection site and help to disperse the depocillin. I'd keep them separate for half an hour or so after giving the injection too as if she immediately licks the injection site some depocillin can leak out.

I'd keep a close eye on his input and output. If his eating continues to decrease and/or if his poo changes then you need to contact the Vet straight away for advice. I have had numerous Rabbits on Depocillin, some having it daily initially and some on it every 2 days for months on end. Only one Rabbit had a bad reaction to it. But it is classed as a 'high risk' abx so it's a good idea to be extra vigilant.

Hope it clears the infection xx

Thank you for the advice Jane. We have never used it before.

It is unlikely that Cass would lick the area we inject him unless he lies down flat (she is too tiny to reach otherwise) but we will of course take your advice and I will stay with them for half an hour to be on the safe side. I will also have a damp cotton wool pad to hand just in case!

We will monitor him very closely and watch out for anything unusual.

I guess food may be getting down while the tooth is growing back.

Should I give him any extra pro-fibre to help his gut?

Thank you for the advice Jane. We have never used it before.

It is unlikely that Cass would lick the area we inject him unless he lies down flat (she is too tiny to reach otherwise) but we will of course take your advice and I will stay with them for half an hour to be on the safe side. I will also have a damp cotton wool pad to hand just in case!

We will monitor him very closely and watch out for anything unusual.

I guess food may be getting down while the tooth is growing back.

Should I give him any extra pro-fibre to help his gut?

You could give him some if he will eat it XX

Back