• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit breeding promoted in newspaper

Lucy-Lou

Mama Doe
This is my local paper :(

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...__with_one_of_his_24_rabbits___/#commentsform

The size of the rabbits' cages is so depressing to see :(

What really worried me is this quote from another local breeder:

"Rabbit fancying is dying out in Lancashire and it’s not as widespread as it once was which is a shame."

I don't want more breeders keeping animals in unsuitable conditions :evil:

Please will other people leave comments on the article? If there is enough interest the paper will usually address the comments.

Those cages are (sadly) a lot bigger than many rabbit breeders use more locally to me (London). Breeders keep rabbits like 'living ornaments', and of course those who purchase from breeders keep them in business.

There will always be those who prefer a pure breed to visiting a Rescue Centre. Shame there are no regulations/guidelines for breeders as there are for our own pet rabbits.

My letter was printed today!

DFC637EF-872B-45AE-99F7-FD6970EB0B02_zpsm66i5bto.jpg

that's a very sensible and measured response, lucy-lou.

The lady who commented in the article, Anne Crompton, bred my Matthew and Tabitha - I met their parents, Maggie and Colin, when I went to choose them. Anne is a nice woman and my buns are doing well aged eight and a half.

Last edited:
Really annoyed and upset with the comments left on this article :evil: A breeder has commented that:

"Hutch size depends greatly on the breed, the Dutch shown here, are quite a small breed and one rabbit would certainly not need or even want a 6ft hutch, these hutches look 3x2 which would be fine for an adult of this breed"

"rspca and rescue websites ... are not rabbit experts like experienced breeders are"

"pet rabbits ... don't usually get as much handling or attention as show breeders give theirs so of-course they are going to need more enrichment/space, of-course the bigger the space the better it sounds but its not always the best thing for the rabbits condition/bones/musc"

"6f hutches are for two rabbits not one, 4ft is what they recommend for one rabbit but can you imagine a polish rabbit in a 4ft hutch? they would be going mental"

I can't even be bothered to keep arguing these points now :( I just feel sorry for the rabbits that have to live in cramped conditions, being picked up and 'handled' all the time rather than getting space and enrichment :(

I wish I'd never bothered now as the mentality of these type of people upsets me so much.

I wish I'd never bothered now as the mentality of these type of people upsets me so much.

You made the point. These people with entrenched ideas aren't going to change their mind because of what you and like-minded people have written but others may. it may have made other rabbit owners think and the outcome being their rabbits' lives have improved.

You can't change the world all in one go but you may have made a small difference that leads on to a bigger difference..... sadly it means coming across the view of these people and it's hard to read and know they believe this rubbish.

I think you have done really well raising this issue, you have used this opportunity to raise the publics awareness, making them think, and consider their own practices and those of others. You may not have changed everything, but you WILL have made a difference!

Taking on such a position is never easy. Big Respect to you !!! X

Thanks :) It's just depressing when you know certain people won't change their minds. I don't know how some RU members run rescues, it must get so frustrating seeing neglected animals day in day out :( I think you have to be an amazing person to be able to deal with it.

Really annoyed and upset with the comments left on this article :evil: A breeder has commented that:

"Hutch size depends greatly on the breed, the Dutch shown here, are quite a small breed and one rabbit would certainly not need or even want a 6ft hutch, these hutches look 3x2 which would be fine for an adult of this breed"

"rspca and rescue websites ... are not rabbit experts like experienced breeders are"

"pet rabbits ... don't usually get as much handling or attention as show breeders give theirs so of-course they are going to need more enrichment/space, of-course the bigger the space the better it sounds but its not always the best thing for the rabbits condition/bones/musc"

"6f hutches are for two rabbits not one, 4ft is what they recommend for one rabbit but can you imagine a polish rabbit in a 4ft hutch? they would be going mental"

I can't even be bothered to keep arguing these points now :( I just feel sorry for the rabbits that have to live in cramped conditions, being picked up and 'handled' all the time rather than getting space and enrichment :(

Ugh I saw that comment and I was so tempted to respond! My girls came from a BRC judge & many times shower winner and I was appalled at what I saw! Even now they don't like me touching their heads or ears because he picked them up by their ears and he said he didn't believe in vet treatment for poorly animals as "if they're going to die, they're going to die!" :shock::evil: I've had them since they were 8 weeks old and have loved & cared for them ever since. They're now 9 months old but they haven't forgotten that, especially Jacquetta. I was only supposed to get one but out of the litter of 8 he had 2 girls & 6 boys still living together at 8 weeks and no way was I leaving one girl behind. Beverans are a large breed & they were in 3ft hutches. Some smaller breeds & Guinea pigs were in 1ft or 2ft cubes :cry:

I can imagine a polish bunny would go mental in a 6ft hutch, it'd be thinking "omg! All this space! I can run & binky!"

I can imagine a polish bunny would go mental in a 6ft hutch, it'd be thinking "omg! All this space! I can run & binky!"

This is exactly what I was thinking!

I honestly can't understand how any of these people think it's acceptable to keep rabbits in such cramped hutches. Their existence is so miserable :( We had cashmere lops when I was younger that we got from a breeder who was getting rid of all her rabbits. We didn't keep them in the best way possible (they spent a lot of their time in 3 foot hutches as we didn't know any better) but before we got them they had never been on grass as they were show rabbits and she didn't want to risj staining their feet or tangling their fur. They got turns running around the whole garden and when they did they were so happy. I really can't comprehend how anyone can think that certain rabbits don't need much space. They are all at their happiest when they have room to sprint about like loons.

I have been looking at hamster and rat cages recently (my Pearl is going mad with boredom in her meshed guinea pig cage plus its a pain to access now I have meshed it) and some of the cages that I would consider small for hamsters are advertised for rabbits. Crazy.

Back