• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on neutering rabbits?

Hi,

I am a first time rabbit owner. I have a 5 month old Netherland Dwarf called Winston :) he's a house bunny.
At the moment I'm debating whether or not to get him castrated. I've read the pros of getting it done but are there any negatives to getting it done? Has anyone not had their rabbit neutered?
I'm just a bit nervous about him having the operation and recovering!

Hannah

Hello

A Rabbit castrate is a relatively minor procedure and it will improve the quality of his life in that he wont be ruled by the hormonal drive to mate. Many entire Bucks also start to spray urine once they reach puberty which can result in Rabbit wee up your walls, on your furniture, on the ceiling (yes, seriously !!). Finally, if you intend to obtain a companion for him (Rabbits are social animals and most do benefit greatly from the companionship of another Rabbit), neutering would be essential

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/BunnyBuddiedwebpage.pdf

Here is some information about Neutering :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

He will need vaccinating against Myxomatosis and VHD (RHD) too

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/vacination28.8.07.pdf

Hi,

I am a first time rabbit owner. I have a 5 month old Netherland Dwarf called Winston :) he's a house bunny.
At the moment I'm debating whether or not to get him castrated. I've read the pros of getting it done but are there any negatives to getting it done? Has anyone not had their rabbit neutered?
I'm just a bit nervous about him having the operation and recovering!

Hannah

It's normal to be concerned when putting one of our furries through an anaesthetic, but it's really the right thing to do :)

If you ever think of getting him a friend, and rabbits love company, then he will definitely have to be neutered or he will pester the life out of any female and try to dominate another male.

Whilst unneutered males can make good pets on their own, you may find he becomes (if he isn't already) territorial. He may express that by trying to 'mark' areas. Even neutered males do this to some extent, but urinating outside the litter box and spraying your furniture or the walls isn't much fun after a while.

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I was a bit worried about Lopsy going through the operation (it would have been a spay as he was 'supposed to be' female ;P) but castration is quite straightforward and they can do other things while the bun's under the anaesthetic: Lopsy's not keen on being handled so a back teeth check was done. He's an outdoor rabbit so I got it done in Summer and brought him inside for a night: being indoors yours will probably be easier to keep an eye on. He also had a cone-of-shame which he hated but he coped OK: I took it off a bit earlier than recommended but Lopsy was fine. Yours may not even come back with a cone!

I have found, since his castration, Lopsy's a much calmer fellow: he doesn't push my hand away when I'm checking him over any more, and doesn't seem to mind being handled quite as much!

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm feeling much better about getting Winston done now!

I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that his behaviour has changed a bit. He's been getting more protective over his areas of the house and has started lunging at people on occasions. I also really don't want him to spray - I live in a rented house and that would be a nightmare! And of course I would love to get a companion for him in the future :)

Good idea about getting other things done while under. He got quite stressed when the vet tried to check his teeth and clip his nails last time.

Thanks again everyone!

Back