• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny missing bond mate.

At a loss to know quite what to do for Treacle.

Pumpkin suddenly died yesterday, I found her this morning hunched upright by the wire barrier next to Blossom and Jasmines side of the big kennel. Normally a state of sneering tolerance has existed between the does with Treacle being smug at having a buck. Blossom and Jasmine are my big buns with a very tight bond. They can be thugs towards other buns when the mood takes them. Jasmine is ignoring her whilst Blossom is not accepting any overtures to make friends- if anything based on her behaviour I would not trust her an inch if they did not have two wire walls with a nose proof gap between them. I removed the one barrier this morning and sat and watched. Blossom hearded Jasmine back in the big shed bedroom then swore and tried to lunge repeatedly.
Treacle is a mini lionhead. I have put extra bedding and a snugglesafe in the wooden bedroom in the giant hutch inside the kennel for Treacle so she has a warm quiet spot.

In the past I would have gone straight to find a new bond friend but my health, thanks to a chronic neurological disorder, is not so good and it is unlikely to ever improve so I am very hesitant to replace Pumpkin.
Any suggestions from other folk as to what might help Treacle get over the sudden loss of her bond mate?

My friend 'quasi-adopted' a pony for her lonely horse whose (ancient) mother had died: the actual owners were after somewhere the pony could go for her twilight years for cheap/free but are happy to pay all upkeep costs (feed, water, fair stabling renovation/hire contribution, vet bills, insurance). They couldn't go and see the pony at the livery she was being kept at as their circumstances changed so wanted somewhere she'd be seen more by loving people. I have no idea if that's possible with bunnies, or indeed in your circumstances, but I just thought of it! I'm sure other people have better suggestions.

I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say how sorry I am that Pumpkin has passed away :'( How very sad :'( sleep tight little man x

Becky,
The vet was pretty certain he had had a massive heart attack so would not have known what had hit him. His eyes had been pretty good of late and unlike his brother he never developed trouble with his teeth.

Back