• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Bad leg? Broken?

Springfield24

Alpha Buck
Springfield just ran around the room like normal but afterwards he was kicking his right front paw and seemingly uncomfortable on it.
He's now able to hop around quite happily on it with no obvious discomfort. He still keeps kicking out though (like they do just before a face clean )
What do I do? Could it be broken?

If he's putting weight on it then I wouldn't think it was broken... But I'm not expert!

It might just be sore or feel funny if he's flicking it, don't think it would be extremely painful if he's not limping though...

Have you got any metacam that you can give him if he looks in discomfort maybe?

I'd say you're best keeping an eye on him, I personally don't think a rabbit would put any weight on a broken leg so it's probably just bruised if anything, shouldn't cause any problems unless it's extremely painful and puts him off his food or it swells up by morning and then is too sore to put weight on

Have you had a good look at it? Maybe he stood in something like a drop of water and it's just annoyed him? Or even a thorn or something that could have come inside on a coat or shoes?

Having a look is a good idea, check the nails too. Is he acting otherwise normally... eating, drinking, hoping about etc.?

If he's still showing signs of it not being right tomorrow then he'll need a vet check.

Thank you so much for the reply in having a right panic. He's okay to dig in hay with both front paws and when he was eating the hay before I felt right around it and couldn't feel anything unusual (not a vet though so not a clue ) abs he didn't flinch or move while I touched it so that's good.

Can't help but think the worst though I'm worried it'll get worse through the night.. checked the floor there's nothing he could've stood in he was just zipping round like normal. ..

Ahh man

Thanks for the advice x

Oh dear poor Springfield! I can't really offer anything on top of what the others have said but I hope he's doing ok this morning x

Update:
He seems fine today no signs of flocking his paw and running round like a loony again (hasn't learnt his lesson then! ) unlike myself who is off work with a stomach bug!
Thank you to everyone who commented I really appreciate it x

Glad he's ok :)

If you've got a slippy surface like lino/laminate adding a rug or two can make mad dashes a bit safer :)

Glad he's ok :)

If you've got a slippy surface like lino/laminate adding a rug or two can make mad dashes a bit safer :)
It's all carpet that they're on but he reaches top speeds, doesn't seem like he can keep up with himself. I usually love it but I'll be watching like a hawk now!

Update:
He seems fine today no signs of flocking his paw and running round like a loony again (hasn't learnt his lesson then! ) unlike myself who is off work with a stomach bug!
Thank you to everyone who commented I really appreciate it x

Phew, that must be a relief that he's alright :D I hope you feel better now!

Back