• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does this sound like a UTI? (in rabbit not me!)

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
Yesterday morning she had a wet bottom, just wee, looked like she'd peed and then sat in it, she will lay where she wees some times but normally the barrier of hay seems to be enough to stop her getting covered in it or she cleans herself quickly after because I've not seen her with wee on her EVER before

When I noticed that I recalls that she'd been cleaning down there a bit more regularly and forcefully than usual the night before, she was like it last night too, and then again tonight.

Now she's acting a little on edge, she's still eating... but got a reduced appetite, is eating hay and parsley and one type of treat but is refusing her rabbit royale and fenugreek crunchies. Overall she seems very comfortable, she's slept most evening, dreaming away, purring, had some binkies and she seems ok now, but a little bit "on alert" sometimes, no tummy pressing or anything :?

I've given her some metacam just in case she's in pain

She isn't drinking more or seeing more that I can notice. Her wee smells abnormal (but smells like dill and I did give her dill this week...), but is usual colour for her

I don't know why but I feel like it could be a UTI?

Anyone else think that too or got any other thoughts? I'm going to pop her into the vets tomorrow, I don't think it's an emergency because it might be that she has heard or smelt something that has put her on edge rather than an illness, also she is still eating and doesn't look uncomfortable :?

I'm a bit confused :?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I literally have no idea but I hope that she will be back to her normal self soon xx

I'm just really stumped as to whether anything is actually wrong... it must be if she's not eating her food with her normal gusto :? so strange, I got home from work today and she was on my lap stealing my food from me so she had a full appetite then!

I have a stethoscope so I could have a listen for things but don't know what normal ranges are for bunnies!

Just cleaned her out and the second I finished she ran to do a wee, I checked after and it was not as much as normal, and she's already done a few wees tonight so I think she does have increased frequency which would fit with UTI... UTI also could explain why she's licking her downstairs area a lot, if it was sore she would be wouldn't she? I hope the metacam makes a difference, I'm calling the vets in the morning

(also I felt her abdomen she doesn't seem to be tender there at all so I don't think it's GI, I didn't press down around her bladder as I'm highly suspicious it is a UTI and I don't want to hurt her, just wanted to rule out GI issues)

I would take her to the vet. It's important that she be started on antibiotics sooner rather than later if she's found to have a UTI.

Good luck tomorrow x

I would take her to the vet. It's important that she be started on antibiotics sooner rather than later if she's found to have a UTI.

Good luck tomorrow x

They have a walk in clinic tomorrow 8-10 so I'm going to go for 5 to 8! :lol: I also need to call the GP and get ask if I can drop off a wee sample for me as I have a UTI too :oops: hopefully I can do all that and not get in too late, it's going to be a hectic morning!

Apart from metacam is there anything I can do or give to her to make her a bit more comfortable over night? I don't think it's pain necessarily, but I can really sympathise with the discomfort levels that she's likely in! She lays down comfortably for a while then gets up whilst twitching her tail, has a look at her bum and then rearranges and lays down again looking comfortable for either quite a while or not very long :?

Sorry, I've no idea, but I hope you are both feeling better soon :thumb:

Thanks Zoobec, I've come to bed but I just can't sleep with worry :/ poor Lilly looks uncomfortable :( I wish I could take her now but I'm very conscious that this isn't a veterinary emergency, although I know it's urgent enough that she needs seeing to first thing tomorrow

Sounds like cystitis to me. This may be related to bladder sludge

Good luck at the Vet this morning xx

Thanks Jane :)

She's a lot better this morning, much more comfortable and she's managed to do a big wee over night, lots of normal poos (there's not been any abnormal), eaten her dinner and all her herbs I left out :D she binkied for breakfast like normal too although hasn't finished it (but she may have only recently had dinner I suppose!)

Still going in for 8am obviously, got a tiny wee sample so the vet can see the colour/consistency, it's only a 1ml syringe though so I'm not sure if she will be able to test it for blood or anything useful

On the other hand I am worse, woke up with night sweats and I have a sore right loin/back, but Lilly will get her treatment first then I'll think about me!

Glad to hear Lily seems to be feeling better, I hope you are soon too :thumb: don't get your urine samples mixed up will you ;) :lol:

Glad to hear Lily seems to be feeling better, I hope you are soon too :thumb: don't get your urine samples mixed up will you ;) :lol:

:lol:

I don't what would be funnier the look on the GP's face when I turn up with 1ml of wee in a syringe... Or the look on the vets face when I turn up with 20mls of wee claiming to have obtained it from a rabbit!!!! :lol: I think the vet would be in awe of me!

Lilly's wee is thick and cloudy on being syringed up although looked clear on the newspaper! But as discussed on a thread the other day cloudy doesn't mean bad, should be like that normally, but it could mean bladder sludge? I'm so glad she's happier this morning!

Bit nervous as the rabbit vet doesn't start until 9am but in all fairness the out of hours and other vets have always treated Harvey amazingly for stasis and they did everything I expected for Logan's pneumonia so although they dont have a special interest in rabbits like my usual one they are generally good... If they're unsure they can check things with her when she gets in I suppose, they're honest with me when unsure of things and happily get books out to double check they're doing everything they should which I really respect :)

Vet suspects cystitis given symptoms, she said tummy sounds and feels normal, Lilly let her palpable her tummy fine then when she got to bladder she kicked out so it looks like it's tender there, vet couldn't feel anything abnormal with bladder though which is good.

Treating with antibiotics and metacam and advised to give Zantac if she goes off her food again. If she still has these episodes after treatment they'll do further investigations like x-rays for bladder stones

Lilly does not like the vets at all!!! She's normally ok because she's not the one being examined!

Hope the abx kick in quickly. With cystitis the course of abx often needs to go on for 14 days rather than just 7 as the bacteria can be very persistent.

Thanks everyone :) she's got a ravenous appetite like usual now :D she was so annoyed at having been to the vets she went straight in to her hutch and to the third floor and she NEVER goes into her hutch! She came down when I went into the kitchen in anticipation of herbs and then retreated back to her hutch, just got home and she's still there sleeping! She looks very comfortable now and she accepted a treat off of me, she's so fast asleep I haven't watched her cleaning yet, but she was cleaning herself more than often and now hasn't done it since I got home so hopefully she's less sore down there

She is not very receptive to being syringed medication :roll:

Hope the abx kick in quickly. With cystitis the course of abx often needs to go on for 14 days rather than just 7 as the bacteria can be very persistent.

Thanks Jane :) I'll chat to the vets later in the week, the vet I saw today isn't my usual rabbit vet but is my usual out of hours vet who always deals with rabbits, she's usually quite good so I'll see what her thoughts are, she did only give me 7 days though so I'll ask for another 7 days and hopefully she'll give them to me, or she might have given me only 7 days because it seems quite a minor or an early infection because clinically she was perfect, not sure! But I'll check!

Oh, and I feel a bit better! Ibuprofen did a good job :D and hopefully the antibiotics are kicking in with me too! The GP gave me what I think is a sub optimal course of antibiotics too :lol: I'll ask my GP tutor tomorrow how I should gently tell my GP I want a longer course, knowing full well he probably won't give it to me!

Back