• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Warming up Kits

My rabbit just had babies. When i went outside to check on them one was on-top of the hay instead of under it. I immediately took it inside and warmed it up. Its now warm and with its siblings. I noticed that its foot and head is blue.. Does this mean its near the end? Its toe nails are still the correct coloring. Please help!!:(

I would phone your vet and ask for advice. Even if they are closed now they will have an out of hours service and should be able to offer advice over the phone.

Hope the little one is ok.

Did the mother make a nest? make sure they are all in the nest of fluff. Its the fluff that will keep them warm not the straw. Straw is much warmer than hay (because of its structure).

However I would say its far too cold for kits to be outside and I personally would bring the whole hutch with kits and mother inside to a cool room such as an unheated conservatory or into the garage (with no car inside obviously) or some such - a spare room unheated? The kits will die if they accidentally get outside the nest even for a very very short while. they often do this if they accidentally squirm away or if they are still latched onto the nipple when the mother leaves from feeding.

Yes, skin pigment springs to mind here too. I'd agree, if possible bring the whole hutch in the minimise disturbance but make sure they stay warm.

I'm guessing it was unplanned? In case you don't know it's really important to remove dad as the mum can get pregnant again immediately.

Hi, I read on another thread you posted that you are only 14 years old, is it your parents that are breeding the bunnies ? Do you have any hands on / practical help in the community you live in ?
RU is great for very good advice! Who pays the Bunnies vets bills ?
Hope you and the Buns are okay

Last edited:
Back