• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will this hay still be all right?

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
Over the last few months I have been getting the most beautiful hay but this batch is so different. It smells, feels and looks different and yesterday I found a damp patch so threw all that away. So I rang the lady from where is comes and she told me that a muck spreader had run amok at 40 mph weighing 15 tons, had demolished the offices and made a huge hole in the barn where the hay is stored. So they had been rinsing it to get rid of the dust? She said they are feeding it to their thoroughbred horses and guinea pigs and said it was perfectly fine for rabbits. But I have noticed some of the bunnies are not eating all of it like they woulld do, so I am worrying if it is ok. I spend £25 per week on hay so I would rather not ditch it and get fresh, not from the same place though....I've still got 4 bales left.

Over the last few months I have been getting the most beautiful hay but this batch is so different. It smells, feels and looks different and yesterday I found a damp patch so threw all that away. So I rang the lady from where is comes and she told me that a muck spreader had run amok at 40 mph weighing 15 tons, had demolished the offices and made a huge hole in the barn where the hay is stored. So they had been rinsing it to get rid of the dust? She said they are feeding it to their thoroughbred horses and guinea pigs and said it was perfectly fine for rabbits. But I have noticed some of the bunnies are not eating all of it like they woulld do, so I am worrying if it is ok. I spend £25 per week on hay so I would rather not ditch it and get fresh, not from the same place though....I've still got 4 bales left.

Rinsing hay to get rid of the dust? That's a new one on me!

I would ditch it. I would only give fresh, dry hay to my bunnies.

I wouldn't use it, no. If it's been rinsed, it will have got thoroughly damp and won't dry out within a tightly packed bale - it's likely to be an absolute hotbed of mould spores and other nasties which will have been triggered by the dampness.

i've heard of people misting the hay to get rid of dust but not when it's part of a big bale. i wouldn't use it x

I've rinsed hay for a horse before but it we only rinsed what we were feeding at that time, so it wasn't left sitting around damp to get mouldy or musty.

Personally I wouldn't use it.

I would take it back to supplier and get my money back. You assumed you'd bought what you always buy, fresh, dry hay but got damp hay that your rabbits don't like. Remind them you're a good customer and you're happy that guinea pigs and horses like the wet stuff but rabbits aren't either of those things and therefore won't eat it.

I would take it back to supplier and get my money back. You assumed you'd bought what you always buy, fresh, dry hay but got damp hay that your rabbits don't like. Remind them you're a good customer and you're happy that guinea pigs and horses like the wet stuff but rabbits aren't either of those things and therefore won't eat it.

:) I get your point :thumb: it's difficult though when you have opened up a bale and find it's rubbish. Also my hay is delivered. Anyway, we have gone back to our old supplier and the hay smells beautiful, so back on track!

:) I get your point :thumb: it's difficult though when you have opened up a bale and find it's rubbish. Also my hay is delivered. Anyway, we have gone back to our old supplier and the hay smells beautiful, so back on track!

Old is good! :D;)

Back