• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question about infacol

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
there seems to be opposite views on infacol - either it's good and it effectively works by 'popping' the gas bubbles. or it's bad because it joins the bubbles to form one big bubble which is then easier to pass, or can become too big and cause torsion.....

my vet (exotics) has recommended infacol for eddie piggy. he had never heard of it causing a big bubble and torsion. he said it works more by popping the bubbles rather than joining them.

so, what have you read vs what your exotics vet has said? and what is your experience with using it. i've used it in the past and had good results (rabbits and piggies) :wave:

there seems to be opposite views on infacol - either it's good and it effectively works by 'popping' the gas bubbles. or it's bad because it joins the bubbles to form one big bubble which is then easier to pass, or can become too big and cause torsion.....

my vet (exotics) has recommended infacol for eddie piggy. he had never heard of it causing a big bubble and torsion. he said it works more by popping the bubbles rather than joining them.

so, what have you read vs what your exotics vet has said? and what is your experience with using it. i've used it in the past and had good results (rabbits and piggies) :wave:

I have yet to come across a vet who recommends it. However, based on 25+ years of experience, I think it's brilliant. Combined with tummy massage it helps break down the gas into bubbles which can then pass through the gut and out.

i went to a first aid talk on bunnies done by my exotics vet and she basically said it was useless...however another exotics vet at the same practice recommended it..so who knows! :?

My vet hasn't 'recommended' it, so to speak, but she's said it won't do any harm. I've given it to Alf before and it's definitely worked.

As far as I'm aware, Infacol (or simeticone which is the active ingredient - the same as in human 'Windeze' tablets) works by breaking down gas into smaller bubbles, thus making it easier for them to pass either upwards or (ahem) downwards. My bunny-savvy vet has always said that there's no evidence it actually works in cases of stasis BUT that it certainly won't do any harm. I've ALWAYS given it to my stasis-prone bunnies and there have been no ill-effects. Not given it to a piggy but can't imagine it would be any different.

Back