• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dentals in Older Bunnies

Kelly11

Warren Scout
My rabbit Daisy us 7 years old, she had her first dental in May 2013 and then when she was spayed in October 2013 they filed them down i believe whilst they had her under - we went back to the vets this wkend for a check up and she said she thinks she may be due for one now as a spur is slightly showing
she said there is no right or wrong answer and do u leave it or do u do it now but she believes it will be needed soon

she eats loads of hay always grazin so is this because shes older and already had a dental? feel awful :( but i know its prob best doing it now before it causes any pain? xxxx

For a known dental bunny, it is always a balance between leaving it a bit too long and the rabbit losing weight / being in pain from the spurs cutting in to soft tissue in the mouth, and putting them through an anaesthetic too often. I find that monitoring their weight weekly gives a good indication of the best time for a dental. As soon as they lose weight, book them in that week - unless there are other obvious signs such as drooling, dropping food, smaller poos or 'chewing air' or just looking a bit 'off' - in which case they need sorting out urgently.

I have not had any problems with anaesthetics in older rabbits and would usually get a dental done as soon as it was needed (ie when the spurs are visible), rather than risk them not eating properly for a few days as they will make a quicker recovery and be less stressed. It also has less impact on the other teeth if they are able to chew more normally all the time. Spurs will affect the chewing action and therefore the wear on the other teeth.

My rabbit Daisy us 7 years old, she had her first dental in May 2013 and then when she was spayed in October 2013 they filed them down i believe whilst they had her under - we went back to the vets this wkend for a check up and she said she thinks she may be due for one now as a spur is slightly showing
she said there is no right or wrong answer and do u leave it or do u do it now but she believes it will be needed soon

she eats loads of hay always grazin so is this because shes older and already had a dental? feel awful :( but i know its prob best doing it now before it causes any pain? xxxx

It's been over a year, and that's quite a good interval between dentals. However, if your vet says a spur is only slightly showing, it may not be necessary to take her back right away. Monitor her weight every week or so and watch for weight loss. Eating hay is great, but can only achieve so much if the teeth are already growing wonky.

There are some vets, of course, who do conscious dentals. I use a vet who does this for one of my rabbits, as she cannot tolerate a GA and is at least 11 years old

A small spur may not cause an issue. I would carefully monitor her input and output and also weigh her every couple of days. If you notice that she appears to be eating less/chewing 'awkwardly' or going off certain foods and/or if her poo output decreases in size then I would ask the Vet to take another look. With the weighing, if there are 3 consecutive losses then that too merits a recheck at the Vets. If all appears to remain 'stable' with no other symptoms of dental problems then I would get the Vet to recheck things in about 4 weeks. A pre op blood profile could be run to check her major organ function.

Good luck

Back