• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chrissy - eye removal :( Any tips ?

Tonya

Alpha Buck
Hey all,

Lately Chrissy has been sneezing with a white secretion coming out of her nose. We went to the vents (a few months ago), she had series of tear duct flushes and eye/nose drops and she eventually went back to normal. A few weeks ago the problem came back and our vet told us that this is due to her needing a dental. She went in for a dental but the vet called me and told me that one of her eyes did not react to light, they checked why and discovered an abscess behind her eye. She tried to drain it but it didn't work so Chrissy had an eye removal :shock: She is a 6 years old Nethie with recurring teeth issues. I didn't think such a routine procedure could lead to this...Now she seems rather ok and is on antibiotics, do you think she will adapt well? Can I do something to make her life better? She keeps sneezing but almost no secretion, the vet said that the antibiotics should calm her sneezing. She never had an abscess before...Otherwise she has a great appetite. She looks like Frankenweenie now :cry:

Sorry your bunny had to have its eye removed. Your bunny should adapt quite easily but you will need to do some things to make it easier e.g. keep food/water bowls in the same place and have your bunny on just one level if possible.

My friend has a more or less completely blind bunny and when you see him you would not think he is blind, he knows his way around.

Hey all,

Lately Chrissy has been sneezing with a white secretion coming out of her nose. We went to the vents (a few months ago), she had series of tear duct flushes and eye/nose drops and she eventually went back to normal. A few weeks ago the problem came back and our vet told us that this is due to her needing a dental. She went in for a dental but the vet called me and told me that one of her eyes did not react to light, they checked why and discovered an abscess behind her eye. She tried to drain it but it didn't work so Chrissy had an eye removal :shock: She is a 6 years old Nethie with recurring teeth issues. I didn't think such a routine procedure could lead to this...Now she seems rather ok and is on antibiotics, do you think she will adapt well? Can I do something to make her life better? She keeps sneezing but almost no secretion, the vet said that the antibiotics should calm her sneezing. She never had an abscess before...Otherwise she has a great appetite. She looks like Frankenweenie now :cry:

What a brave little bun!

From the sounds of how she is coping now, I expect she will adapt really well :) I have a bunny who is blind in one eye, and although at the beginning of the summer she was reluctant to go outside, it didn't take long for to gain her confidence and be bounding around like normal.

I have also lived with a blind bunny, and they also adapt really well, though with complete blindness it's kind for them to have a partner.

I'm so glad the operation sounds like it was successful .. Long may she reign :thumb:

I had a Nethie who had an eye removed age 6 and he coped fine, even in a garden set up. Lived very happily to be eight. Hope your bun recovers quickly. :wave:

I had a Nethie who had an eye removed age 6 and he coped fine, even in a garden set up. Lived very happily to be eight. Hope your bun recovers quickly. :wave:

This gives me some positive perspective. She doesn't seem to have a problem with orientation, except that she seems to be unable to measure her jumping distance.Thank youuu :) She is fine for now:)

The vet warned me that the antibiotic might be bad for her stomach, she told me as well that I may have to inject her for a few months, is that normal? I noticed bunnies tend to consume a lot of medication when sick but still...several months on antibiotics seems scary..

Last edited:
Back