• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are neutered females supposed to have a dewlap?

Lucy-Lou

Mama Doe
Dany seems to be getting one (or she's getting fat!) She's only 10 months old, whereas my other girl Priss is 3 and doesn't have one. Dany was spayed very young (at just under 3 months) and I didn't think spayed females developed them :?

Does this mean I need to reduce her food? She is quite a big girl but she doesn't feel overweight (I can feel her spine under her fur when I stroke her) and she's very active.

I'm wondering if it's because she has such short rex fur it's more noticeable perhaps?

Julie was spayed at the normal young age and has a big dewlap.I think some rabbits get them anyways spayed or not.

I'm not sure. I think it can be a sigh of them being overweight but i don't know if it always means that

Waffles has the start of one and she's not overweight I don't think but I'm trying to encourage her to be more active!

My neutered male Harvey had one :oops: he had it when he was a bit overweight and then lost weight and he still had one... although a small one!

Lilly is a neutered female and she has an even smaller dewlap than Harvey had! It's just about there though, although when she's sat or stood it's not visible, only when laying in certain positions!

I think some rabbits will get them regardless of being spayed or not, I assume if they have one after being spayed they'll have had an even bigger one if they hadn't been spayed! It can also mean a bunny is overweight, but there are bunnies on here who have dewlaps and don't look overweight anywhere else so I suppose if a bunny is predisposed to have a large dewlap they'll get one regardless!

Tamsin's poster gives good ways to tell if a rabbit is overweight or not http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?431013-Is-your-bunny-a-healthy-weight

I wouldn't worry if it's just a dewlap she has, it doesn't automatically mean she's overweight :)

My girl is spayed, isn't overweight and has a dewlap, but more one side than the other ! I did get the vet to examine it as I was a bit worried, but she said it's fine, it's just skin.

I think rexes can look a bit roller than they are because of the fur. It really depends if it's just fluff and skin or a layer of fat. The vet might have a weight on record from her last visit - it depends how long ago that was though as she's young and might have done a bit of growing.

The pair of them are due their vaccinations soon, so I'll ask the vet to check their weights while we're there. I hope she isn't overweight as their diet is mainly hay and a small amount of greens/pellets, so I'm not sure how I could really cut it down anymore :?

It's made me a bit sad with her developing a dewlap, it's like she's growing up :(:lol: They were my teeny tiny babies, and now they're becoming adults!

Amy didn't have a dewlap when I got her at five months; the plan was to get her spayed once I'd had her a month, but circumstances were that I had to push that back until she was about a year old, and by then she had a medium sized dewlap. Four months on and it's shrunk, but still there; I think she might be a little overweight. She loves her food and is quite lazy.

My 4 year old spayed girl Cookie has developed a big saggy dewlap. Her body doesn't feel or look overweight. She is not active in the slightest though. She will binky straight up vertically in the air a few times then will go and snuggle back down for ages again!

Back