• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bortedella (and Q re. bonding a bunny with this - POST 6)

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
Does anyone know about bortedella?

If a bunny nasal swap shows bortedella, and the bun is snuffly (sneezing and snotty), what does this mean? Is the bortedella itself possible to cause those symptoms, or is it more likely to be something else (pasteurella?)?

Last edited:
Many Rabbits carry a strain of Bordetella at a sub clinical level- ie the bacteria is present but the Rabbit has no symptoms. It is a real threat to Guinea Pigs though, often causing a fatal pneumonia and so if you have any GPs keep them well away from the infected Rabbit(s)- ie not even in the same shed/room. Bordetella infrequently causes symptoms such as rhinitis, pasteurella is usually involved if there are active clinical symptoms

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Bordatella_bronchiseptica_Inf_HHog.htm

Bumping up for you. :thumb:

Eta: cross posted with Jane so it didn't need the bump after all :thumb:

Was the nasal swab done consciously? Sometimes if they don't get a good sample it can miss things.

I've had a rabbit diagnosed with bordetella before, but when they looked further it turned out to be pasturella.

Many Rabbits carry a strain of Bordetella at a sub clinical level- ie the bacteria is present but the Rabbit has no symptoms. It is a real threat to Guinea Pigs though, often causing a fatal pneumonia and so if you have any GPs keep them well away from the infected Rabbit(s)- ie not even in the same shed/room. Bordetella infrequently causes symptoms such as rhinitis, pasteurella is usually involved if there are active clinical symptoms

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/Bordatella_bronchiseptica_Inf_HHog.htm

Bumping up for you. :thumb:

Eta: cross posted with Jane so it didn't need the bump after all :thumb:

Was the nasal swab done consciously? Sometimes if they don't get a good sample it can miss things.

I've had a rabbit diagnosed with bordetella before, but when they looked further it turned out to be pasturella.

Thank you all. I have (had, as sadly Poppy passed away this week :cry:) two buns who tested positive for this ages ago. One was certainly swabbed whilst under GA, but the other may have been conscious, I can't remember. I've just realised my understanding of bortedella is quite wrong as I thought it was that which was causing the snuffles. Bunny is snuffly despite us trying different courses of abx over the past few years. He just never manages to kick it off. I now realise that perhaps he could have pasteurella also.

I changed vets recently so maybe new vet can offer something, but we will see.

I also need to find Bunny a new friend so would be interested in stories from anyone with experience of looking for a partner for a snuffly rabbit. Is it important to find another snuffly bunny to go with him? (May put that last bit in a new thread as it's kind of a different question).

Just bumping this in case anyone has any experience of this?:

I need to find Bunny a new friend so would be interested in stories from anyone with experience of looking for a partner for a snuffly rabbit. Is it important to find another snuffly bunny to go with him?

Should I really be looking to partner him with another snuffles rabbit? Is the risk for a healthy rabbit too great?

Bunny will be seeing the vet this week for a full check over, and to get her view on whether we can try treating him again, and also on the risks of transfer. I would be really interested in other people's experiences though.

Back