• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving indoors questions.

Ralfy

Warren Scout
So my two are moving indoors and I have a few, maybe a lot, of questions! I have spent the last hour or so browsing through old posts and have got loads of ideas and tips but I still have queries!.

They are moving in temporarily and will go back outside when Spring comes and the weather warms up, so I am not wanting to make any permanent and drastic changes!
I have set up an area in my kitchen of approx 6ftx6ft, although I have had to put a couple of in-step corners in, to make it fit, so it is an odd shape! They will free range the kitchen, hall and most likely the lounge in the evenings and most probably before I go to work. I keep looking at the space I have and am trying to figure out if and how I can enlarge it! Anyone want a kitchen table?! :lol:

+Due to travel plans they won't be moving inside until after Christmas, obviously the weather is so unreliable and it could still be very mild at that point, but it could also be down to minus degrees. How is best to acclimatise them? They will be in the kitchen so whilst I am happy to leave a window open when I am around, I can't do this at night or when I am out.

+Flooring. My kitchen has a wooden floor and I (and my dad) are worried about them ruining it. I have found an old strip of carpet in the loft which I can use but it won't cover the whole area they will have. They are litter trained, although I would say only 80% so. I have thought about maybe buying a couple of cheap door mats and putting them around their litter trays, would that work? I could then have the carpet strip the other side of the pen, away from litter trays and hay stations.
+I am also concerned about hay on carpet/mats? Any suggestions to a flooring that may work better than what I have and is easy to keep clean?

+ Litter training. As I say, they are about 80% litter trained. Should I perhaps give them a slightly smaller area to start with, maybe for the first week, so they are limited on places to pee?
+What is the best way to dissuade peeing in places they shouldn't be peeing? Hay will be placed near/over litter trays.

+Bedroom/Safe house. I have an old table which I plan to cover with a fleece blanket or two which they can use to jump on and hide under. Will this suffice as a bedroom/safe space to hide? I can also put their travel carrier in there, providing I can make it fit without allowing them a spring board to jump out!

Any other handy hints, tip, suggestions? Sorry for the long text post! I will post a couple of pictures in the next day or so once I have moved everything inside! Thank you, in advance!

Instead of having a specific area for them, could they freerange the kitchen and hall permanently? I find that my kitchen is completely Louie safe as there are no visible wires for him to chew!

What kind of wooden floor is it? I've had rabbit wee on laminate and it does mark it if not cleaned up straightaway. If it is polished floorboards then they wont be damaged by wee as long as they are well varnished.

Louie doesn't have a bolt hole but he does like going behind the settee or under a wooden chair we have in the kitchen. The covered table should be fine for the job.

I put hay actually in the littertray rather than near it, which has always worked well for us.

In my experience, it is impossible to stop rabbits weeing in places they shouldn't!

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply *Lily*!
My kitchen doesn't have a door on it, so unfortunately they won't be able to free range it permanently as from there they can reach the whole house!

I'm not exactly sure what sort of wooden floor it is, but my dad does often mention the fact that it would be easily ruined. Not sure if that is just dads speak though!!

Back