• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccination?

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Hello all,

Had some lectures on vaccination/immunity this week from a guy at MSD and it's left me feeling a bit guilty...
Currently, my three are not vaccinated. Odie and Zelda had their first vaccine and a booster, and Flo was abandoned so I don't know her vaccine status.
I've never had any of my rabbits vaccinated before, should I get them vaccinated? Can't they still die from myxi if they are vaccinated?

Hello,

It is definitely worth getting them vaccinated. The combi vaccine does not just protect them against Myxomatosis, but VHD as well. VHD does not have symptoms, so you would just find your rabbit dead one day.

They can get myxomatosis when vaccinated, yes, but it is in a nodular form and nowhere as serious as when they contract full blown myxomatosis. A rabbit would almost certainly die from full blown myxomatosis, whereas plenty survive nodular.

Yes. Definitely. Regardless of whether they live inside or out. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, VHD is evil and 100% preventable. All my guys are vaccinated and I always make sure they are vaccinated on time if not a little early every year. It's not a lot of money for peace of mind!

It's not a lot of money for peace of mind!
Yes, I agree with this: a double vaccine once a year isn't too much trouble even for vet-phobic Lopsy :) My previous rabbit we vacinated once on the assumption the vaccine was for life, only found out after he'd gone (not from myxi) that it was a 6-month one :S I think my friend's rabbit died of myxi, but I do remember reading about the tiny % that survived it unvaccinated. It's no guarantee against myxi, but it's like the (human!) 'flu jab: gives them a helping hand! To be honest, just the guarantee against VHD is worth it for me!

I would definitely vaccinate. It covers against two diseases in just the one annual jab, and while it's true that some bunnies can still contract a form of myxi while vaccinated, they are highly likely to get it very mildly and survive. If they had contracted it without being vaccinated, they would have died. My Beatrice got a myxi nodule back in the summer, if she hadn't been vaccinated she would undoubtedly have died, but she's still here, happy and bouncy and quickly recovered. The wetter, milder winters mean that myxi is becoming a problem all year round rather than 'just' in certain seasons.

Back