• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weird Alfalfa King Timothy Hay

Nic.

Warren Scout
Been trying to get hold of a decent bag of this for months but all the ones I've had are very very dusty inside and look like a weird colour. It's making me feel very ill, my buns sneezing gets worse and they don't like to eat it. They're in a mood because it's their favourite and they havent had any for ages :lol: Anyone noticed this too? Or know where I can find some which is definitely ok? I've tried various Pets at Home and they're all like that, don't know where to buy it anywhere else and have been worried about ordering online because i can't see it first and don't want to waste money.

I don't buy it often because I tend to just keep some for an occasional treat but I first got some a couple of years ago and every bag I've had has been dusty whether bought from online or from a shop. I also get the barley and oat one and that's always dusty too. Maybe it has something to do with their packing process.

I was using this hay earlier this year..The buns went mad for it...but cannot get a decent bag now and have wasted quite a few pounds trying!
I am now using Timothy Hay from Timothy Hay.co.uk...The 2014 batch and the buns are okay on that...maybe with Alfalfa it's the time of year or something. Even meadow hay goes through rough patches.

My two bags of meadow hay nbought at the same time from the same shop were wildly different as one was 'green' and one was 'stalky', but neither were dusty. That could be to do with the type of grass, drying process or something leading to more cracking of the fibres and so more dust?

The last bag i bought online was basically just dust! It hardly had any long strands...............

Back