• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The difficulties of winter...

Micky93

Young Bun
This is my first winter being a bunny slave and I'm discovering the hardships that winter brings. :shock:

The girls are happily tucked up in their shed, and I'm so beyond grateful they have it all set up and cosy. Due to the intense amount of rain here our garden has become like a mud bog - literally. The shed is up on patio slabs etc, however you have to walk across the grass (mud!) to get to it! The girls are not impressed that it is taking longer to get their breakfast and dinner because the silly human is slipping around on the mud.

The worst thing though is that in the storms we recently had our big plastic storage shed must have taken a battering. I couldn't see anything odd or different about it, but last night it let it a ton of water in from the rain and the two huge bales of hay I have are now completely ruined. I have a night shift tonight so will have to get up tomorrow and clear it all out and try to find out where the leak has come in, plus buy in a load more hay. :cry:

But, they're still worth it. Even if they don't always appreciate my trials and tribulations :lol:

What about putting a few stepping stones down on the grass to help with the mud issue?

Could you store the hay in the roof space (on a shelf) in the shed?

This is my first winter being a bunny slave and I'm discovering the hardships that winter brings. :shock:

The girls are happily tucked up in their shed, and I'm so beyond grateful they have it all set up and cosy. Due to the intense amount of rain here our garden has become like a mud bog - literally. The shed is up on patio slabs etc, however you have to walk across the grass (mud!) to get to it! The girls are not impressed that it is taking longer to get their breakfast and dinner because the silly human is slipping around on the mud.

The worst thing though is that in the storms we recently had our big plastic storage shed must have taken a battering. I couldn't see anything odd or different about it, but last night it let it a ton of water in from the rain and the two huge bales of hay I have are now completely ruined. I have a night shift tonight so will have to get up tomorrow and clear it all out and try to find out where the leak has come in, plus buy in a load more hay. :cry:

But, they're still worth it. Even if they don't always appreciate my trials and tribulations :lol:

Oh, so sorry! It's hard enough disposing of that quantity of hay never mind going to buy (and carry!) another load.
I feel for you ...... x

Stepping stones are good idea, you can use concrete slabs, rubber mats like car mats or foam pads. I store my hay in the garage so if you have a garage, porch or utility room you could maybe keep it in there?

Thanks guys, have looked at getting some stepping stones of some kind to put along so hopefully will get something sorted soon. Definitely more upset about the hay though. I dare not tell the girls that tomorrow I'll be emptying out their hay shed… I think they'd go into shock :shock: :lol:

Some people on here keep bales of hay in a wheelie bin. It may be worth looking into. I ditched our plastic shed cos it leaked sooo much.

Two bales is a lot to lose. I feel for you.

Back