• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Nearly Lost Flynn Last Night-U/D 21st Nov- Coping a bit Better

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
He's coming up for 10 now and he has always been a very healthy Rabbit. He has never had any illness of any kind

Last night he had what I believe was a bleed on his brain, he is now completely blind :cry: As he has always been a very nervous Rabbit I am not at all sure how he will cope now. He has started eating again in the last few hours having been on fluid therapy all night. But he wont move from his litter tray as he cant see :cry:
He also has a UTI so is on treatment for that. I will be speaking with Laura today. I will not be pushing Flynn on if he cannot do more than sit in a litter tray for days on end.

:cry:

Last edited:
Oh no, I'm so sorry :(

I know you'll do what's right for Flynn when the time is ready no matter how hard it is for you.

Sending lots of love to you both xxx

:( poor Flynn :( I really hope he can learn to adapt, it's going to be hard though as it was so sudden :(

I can't remember if Flynn was bonded or a single bunny? I've just read so many stories about blind bunnies gaining confidence through a seeing friend, although at his age and with his blindness I suppose if bonding was anything other than very straight forwards it would be too scary :(

Lots of nose rubs and vibes to Flynn x

Jane I am so very sorry :( poor Flynn.
I know you always do what is best for your bunny family and you have excellent vets. He couldn't be in better hands whatever the outcome.
I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time. ((((((((Huge hugs))))))))) xxxxxxxx

I would not even think of bonding Flynn now. He was terrified enough by the bonding process when he was a young sighted Rabbit. He would probably die of fright if I put him into a bonding situation now

I would not even think of bonding Flynn now. He was terrified enough by the bonding process when he was a young sighted Rabbit. He would probably die of fright if I put him into a bonding situation now

Definitely doesn't sound like a good idea for him :(

10 healthy years is amazing, if someone could promise me Lilly would live until 10 without any health problems I'd be really happy :) it doesn't make this situation easy, but he's had a great life with you :) whatever you do will be the right choice I'm sure, you know your rabbits so well :love:

:cry: I'm so sorry. I know you will make the right decision for Flynn based on his situation xx

Oh no :( poor bunny, I hope he learns to cope with it. Maybe spending time sitting and talking to him will help, im no bunny expert and definitely never looked after a blind animal but you never know... it will be a shock though thats for sure. Sending some vibes for you both x

Poor little guy. Does the smell of other bunnies stress him? Wondering if you could leave a teddy with a different bunny & then give it Flynn so he doesn't feel alone? Or even given him a heat pad inside a teddy. Even though he's old, he may well adapt slowly - Danny has been remarkably calm about all his age problems - it's just me flapping xx

That's really sad news: I lost my otherwise pretty healthy Nethie Charlie at 10 to something sudden like a CVA or heart attack. It was properly fatal for him though: prior to that, he'd only been to the vet for dentals and a few help-him-eating injections (no idea what!). Good luck for Flynn, and best wishes to you.

Sending loving vibes to Flynn. What a dear soul. I hope he gradually adapts to his newly blind status and has some more happy times with you all. x

Thank you

Flynn has ventured out of his litter tray a couple of times and he is eating hay and coriander

He has a really nasty bladder infection and bladder sludge too :cry:

We (me + Laura, a Vet) are going to give him a bit of time to see if he can adjust to being blind. He is of course on treatment for his bladder problems.

Thank you

Flynn has ventured out of his litter tray a couple of times and he is eating hay and coriander

He has a really nasty bladder infection and bladder sludge too :cry:

We (me + Laura, a Vet) are going to give him a bit of time to see if he can adjust to being blind. He is of course on treatment for his bladder problems.

I've just read all of this thread
Vibes for Flying that he responds to treatment for the uti and that he can cope with his blindness.

I know you'll do the right thing for him.

Poor Flynn - must be a huge shock for him

Hope he comes to terms with his loss of sight and ventures bravely around - but if not... Lots of hugs jane xxx

Back