• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New hutch options??

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
So I have decided im going to put Matilda and Grayson outside in the spring, they are currently in my bedroom, in a dog crate, they don't come out half as much as they should and I feel they will benefit more from being outside! And as i'll need to start saving now I need to know whats best!

hutch options!!

The ground is like a bog in the winter so i'm really unsure of options!

Do I just get a double 5 foot and them have a separate run access

Or do I go for a hutch/run combo, but i'm worried about access with cleaning it out etc

Does anyone have any advice or any other options?

I also should add im vary about having a run as we did have a fox attack on my chickens this year!

Last edited:
Sounds like your best bet would be to lay down paving slabs and have either a large aviary with hutch inside or shed attached. Or large hutch securely attached to a run on slabs. Make sure you use strong melded mesh on run/hutch

Yes, I agree and you could add a paving path to it for yourself. If you wanted grass access then paving around the edge and digging out the centre a bit and mixing it grit would improve drainage, then you could lay down mesh and turf over.

If you want to lock them in at night I'd probably got for a shed/wendyhouse for the extra space - double hutch isn't quite as good as it's split between levels.

I find it sooo much easier to look after 'shed' rabbits. Its cosier to go in there even when raining and they are secure.

20140831_162548_zps2fba1d71.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is what i did with mine, have 2 digging pits in the middle as well, the playhouse is attached to a 3 storey hutch by a tunnel and the hutch is attached to a covered aviary, Humphrey lives in the playhouse but has the bottom storey of the hutch as well and willow lives in 2 storeys of the hutch and the aviary :)

20140914_155416_zpsaba0eb82.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

O/h also made a door into the run so Humphrey can come and go as he likes when i am supervising his free ranging xx

I got a shed online for the same price as a 5ft hutch from P@H - sheds seem so much cheaper for the space provided and you can get smallish sheds if space is an issue.

As tulsi says a shed is a million times easier to clean! I'm so happy cleaning mine out (lol I know that's sad :oops:)

Unfortunately I am not allowed a shed :( and there is no room to fit one in the space I have, if I went with a wendy house there would be no room for a run which would mean they are in the dark :( x

How about a 6x2 double? I've not got enough room in my garden for a shed or Wendy house as it is narrow and slopes upwards. I've just purchased a 6x2 double

If you go for a hutch/run combo then setting it up so the hutch faces outwards instead of over the run makes access easier. I'd probably go for a 6' single so that the run is bigger if you are limited in space. You can always board the sides of the run under the hutch to make it more sheltered but not having a hutch space down there means a bigger floor area on one level.

There is a pretty big range of 6' hutches now so it depends what style/budget you want, I compiled a list recently: http://www.therabbithouse.com/outdoor/wheretobuyhutch.asp

The other thing you could do is go wider on the hutch e.g. 2.5' instead of 2'. That would give you extra space but the same foot print.

There is also no reason you couldn't combine a hutch with an aviary if you wanted to be able to walk in the run for easier access.

If you go for a hutch/run combo then setting it up so the hutch faces outwards instead of over the run makes access easier. I'd probably go for a 6' single so that the run is bigger if you are limited in space. You can always board the sides of the run under the hutch to make it more sheltered but not having a hutch space down there means a bigger floor area on one level.

There is a pretty big range of 6' hutches now so it depends what style/budget you want, I compiled a list recently: http://www.therabbithouse.com/outdoor/wheretobuyhutch.asp

The other thing you could do is go wider on the hutch e.g. 2.5' instead of 2'. That would give you extra space but the same foot print.

There is also no reason you couldn't combine a hutch with an aviary if you wanted to be able to walk in the run for easier access.

Great list of outdoor hutches. Very useful. Could it be made into a sticky?

I also make a 6ft x2ft x2ft hutch but they are not mass produced and only made to order in small numbers. They are not flat packed but ready built. Doubles & singles also available in 6ft 7ft and 8ft.

Great list of outdoor hutches. Very useful. Could it be made into a sticky?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back