• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poppy is not well. She's gone

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
She has a tumor or abscess under her eye which bleeds on and off. It seems to be getting bigger too :(

The choices were biopsy or keep her comfortable. I haven't said anything on here because I'm self hating and didn't/don't know how people would react and there is just so much sadness going on at the moment I haven't felt able to post. But I'm really stuggling :cry:

Poppy is 7 years old and I have decided quality over quantity. Every day I've been asking myself 'what if', what if she had the biospy.. We could find out exactly what it is and fix her.. But I just know that the biopsy itself would be incredibly distressing for her as well as recovery with meds and everything. Let alone an operation.

She doesn't move around much now but still super cheeky. She is eating and flopping non stop, which is great but it also makes me feel terrible because she is obviously happy and she is the biggest fighter going.

The only really worrying thing (apart from her eye) currently is her sneezing. It's becoming more frequent and it is very squeaky.. :( Might see if we can get an appointment tomorrow as once she starts she needs help stopping.

She went to the vets a week ago now for a check up and our vet said it had got bigger as it is pushing her eye slightly. Her painkillers have been upped and she never seems in pain so that's good. She went because we woke up and found blood on the floor and wall from where she had been scratching :(

It's just so horrible because I feel terrible and I know if it was Donny or Lola or Charley they would be having a biospy. But Poppy is so fragile :cry: My brain is telling me I'm just making up excuses to make myself feel better and that she would be fine but I just know she wouldn't :cry:

Here she is chilling with her new pal Candyfloss. You can see her poorly eye in this too -

Last edited:
Sorry Poppy is not well. It isn't easy deciding what to do at times. At least she is happy and eating.

Oh no, poor Poppy :( I hope she stays pain-free and comfortable for as long as possible.

It's never easy deciding what to do when a pet has a serious illness, you know your bunny better than anyone else so I'm sure you've made the right decision based on what's best for her xx

Please don't feel guilty and worry about what others might think, as it's clear that Poppy is a much loved and well looked-after bunny :love:

So sorry to hear this :( must be really difficult for you :(

If you say she's too fragile to even have the biopsy in the first place then I expect that whatever the results are she may be too frail for the treatment, so why put her through the stress of the biopsy if even if the results won't change her management plan? However if there's a likely result that has a treatment she could cope with then maybe it'd be an option... but again if the biopsy is going to be really risky it might be best for her to just be made comfortable as long as possible :(

It must be so hard for you, I hope you're ok x

Oh bless :(

Sorry you're having to deal with this :cry:

We know you'll do what's best for Poppy and you're the only person who knows what is best for her.

Awww. So sorry that Poppy is not well. Thank goodness that she seems alright in herself and is still flopping and cuddling with her friend!

I know what you mean about 'what ifs' I am currently struggling with a very damp shed (grows mould within days when I clean it) where the hares are living. Hoping to get felt on this weekend and vents in. Saving for a dehumidifier as well.

Lots of vibes for Poppy and for you. Sorry you are having such a sad time atm.

I'm so sorry about Poppy :cry: I know you will have thought long and hard over the decision about what is best for her. You know her best, as does your vet. I hope she will remain comfortable for as long as possible.

Sending vibes for Poppy, and hugs to you xx

I'm sorry Poppy is poorly.

Don't feel bad about the decisions you've made for her. She's your bunny and you know her best. Why put her and you through the stresses of the biopsy if she's not fit enough.

There will always be "what ifs" though. :(

Is it worth having a chat with her vets to see if they think she's strong enough. (If you haven't already of course).

Sorry you're having a tough time at the moment. Big hug for you.:love:

Massive *hugs* for you and vibes for little Poppy.

From what you have said about Poppy before I think you are making absolutely the right descision.

I am sorry to hear Poppy is unwell, everyone knows you have your buns best interests at heart and whatever decision is made, is made by the best person for a cherished bun.

Thank you everyone xxx

She's going to the vets today, her breathing sounds laboured but doesn't seem to be affecting her that much. Every breath is very noisy though and her stomach keeps gurgling :(

Oh bless her poor girl!

I really hope she remains comfortable, I can understand wanting to give your pet a quality of life rather than wanting lots of back and forth vet trips. I think anyone can see the sense in that decision.

Vibes for you and your girl, I really hope she remains well and comfortable for as long as possible. xx

Back