• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Advent Calendar (Complaint)

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I've sent a complain to Pets at Home about them selling these ''advent calendars'' for small animals.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pets-at-home-small-animal-advent-calendar-72g

I know most of you will already know this but please, do not buy these for your bunnies, they contain milk and dairy products that bunnies digestive systems cannot cope with, they can make bunnies poorly.

I think I've been right to complain? Anyone else is free to do so. I'm hoping we can stop these things being sold...

It's like these Small Animal Santa's as well.

Supposedly suitable for most small animals including Rabbits as it's sugar/dairy free, but has the most delicious (not!!) ingredients of Non hydrogenated vegetable oil, rice powder, Non GM soya flour and dandelion Leaf powder (1%). They are definitely not suitable for rabbits. :shock: :shock:

It's like these Small Animal Santa's as well.

Supposedly suitable for most small animals including Rabbits as it's sugar/dairy free, but has the most delicious (not!!) ingredients of Non hydrogenated vegetable oil, rice powder, Non GM soya flour and dandelion Leaf powder (1%). They are definitely not suitable for rabbits. :shock: :shock:

I just don't get it, how does this stuff get on the shelves without someone letting them know they aren't suitable? Either they just don't care or they have a terrible bunch of people advising them on products...

Whilst I agree they are unsuitable - I don't think this is any different to a lot of the food available to other pets or humans (including food aimed at children). If you start looking at ingredients - P@H are only selling what is classed as completely acceptable by society & a thousand other companies. Don't buy them - but it's not worthy of a complaint. Unless you are also writing to asda & complaining their veg has been sprayed with pesticides & it could hurt your bunnies?

Whilst I agree they are unsuitable - I don't think this is any different to a lot of the food available to other pets or humans (including food aimed at children). If you start looking at ingredients - P@H are only selling what is classed as completely acceptable by society & a thousand other companies. Don't buy them - but it's not worthy of a complaint. Unless you are also writing to asda & complaining their veg has been sprayed with pesticides & it could hurt your bunnies?

I don't think that a company that is meant to sell stuff specifically for pets should be selling this stuff. Asda sells mostly groceries for us, not a lot of stuff for pets, they don't base their whole selling angle on caring for pets. Pets at home do. So they shouldn't sell things that are bad for any animal. They should be aiming for everything being 100% safe in my opinion.

I just think that their passion is supposed to be pets, whereas sometimes it seems apparent that it isn't...

Last edited:
I don't think that a company that is meant to sell stuff specifically for pets should be selling this stuff. Asda sells mostly groceries for us, not a lot of stuff for pets, they don't base their whole selling angle on caring for pets. Pets at home do. So they shouldn't sell things that are bad for any animal. They should be aiming for everything being 100% safe in my opinion.

But that isn't the way of society or the world we live in today. Have you seen the ingredients in dog food?? These advent calendars are perfectly in line with their usual supplies & most other companies as well. Asda might not aim their veg at pets - but they do supply pet supplies with dodgy ingredients, they supply sugar free pumped-full-of-chemicals drinks aimed at children, etc etc. It's down to the CONSUMER to do the research & buy what they believe their child/pet should have.

If you want natural-organic animal food - you go to a company that has that as it's mission statement & boycott the stuff you don't agree with. I don't shop at P@H because I don't agree with them selling animals. But in this instance I don't believe they are doing any that every other company isn't already doing

But that isn't the way of society or the world we live in today. Have you seen the ingredients in dog food?? These advent calendars are perfectly in line with their usual supplies & most other companies as well. Asda might not aim their veg at pets - but they do supply pet supplies with dodgy ingredients, they supply sugar free pumped-full-of-chemicals drinks aimed at children, etc etc. It's down to the CONSUMER to do the research & buy what they believe their child/pet should have.

If you want natural-organic animal food - you go to a company that has that as it's mission statement & boycott the stuff you don't agree with. I don't shop at P@H because I don't agree with them selling animals. But in this instance I don't believe they are doing any that every other company isn't already doing

You are right but if nobody says anything to the companies that do sell these things, nothing will ever change. Its sad that so many people will pick up this item in a ''pet store'' because they assume it is safe.

Regardless of all of this, it shouldn't be sold, yes, neither should lots of other things, but I'm not talking about them right now, just this thing I happened to come across today. If I happened to come across anything else in my day I'd complain about that too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with contacting P@H and letting them know you won't be buying this type of product and why you disagree with them stocking it, which is what it sounds like Sarah's done. That's different from 'complaining' in the form of giving the staff a hard time and demanding it be taken off the shelves.

I also think that it's different from dog food or kids sweets having unhealthy ingredients in them, as a dog or a child isn't likely to go into gut stasis from eating something that upsets their tummy even slightly. Rabbits have much more delicate digestive systems than other animals and P@H should recognise that and stock their food accordingly.

I just think that their passion is supposed to be pets, whereas sometimes it seems apparent that it isn't...

Sometimes? Every time making money is what it's all about. Always has been, always will be.

If you have a complaint you wish to dispute please get in touch

I've sent a complain to Pets at Home about them selling these ''advent calendars'' for small animals.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/pets-at-home-small-animal-advent-calendar-72g

I know most of you will already know this but please, do not buy these for your bunnies, they contain milk and dairy products that bunnies digestive systems cannot cope with, they can make bunnies poorly.

I think I've been right to complain? Anyone else is free to do so. I'm hoping we can stop these things being sold...

Hi Sarah,

I am currently working for a Daytime ITV show and would love to have a chat with you about a possible opportunity.

My email is hannah.adams@itv.com

Look forward to hearing from you,
Hannah

Back