• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The power of touch- the strength of a bunny

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Hope went into respiratory failure tonight so we obviously shot to the emergency vets. They admitted him and tried him on oxygen just to see if we could ease it and improve him, but it didn't, so I had to make the call and drove back to the vets to have him PTS.

When I got there they'd got him out of the oxygen chamber and he'd crashed. When I arrived he had hardly a heartbeat, no blink reflex, was breathing very sporadically (that agonal breathing thing) and his eyes were dead. She (the vet) told me he was unconscious and unaware of what was going on around him. I put my hands either side of him and held him, stroked him and spoke to him, and his heart started to beat stronger, he gained back his blink reflex and started to breathe more- his blood pressure even increased. Bonkers.

Unfortunately for my strong chap, he then did have to be PTS because there was no real coming back from that, but, to me, that showed the real importance of that touch and me being there, and he evidently did know what was going on, on some level.

I've known bunnies to calm down and improve drastically when I hold them (even Roger, my wildie), but I've never had anything like that.

I don't know why I felt the need to share that, I just did. Sorry.

Binky Free Schmopey. (Will do his tribute in due course).

Gosh, I do think he must have known you were there, you must have had a strong bond with him. I hope what happened brings you some comfort at this sad time xx

You don't have to apologise for sharing this - I think it is so very touching. He clearly knew who you were and I think that him becoming calm upon you touching him, and improving, is very bittersweet. It, in my opinion, shows the level of your care and the bond between you two.

I am so sorry that he still had to be euthanised.

Binky free, Hope.

So sorry for your loss.

As has been said, him improving on your touch is very bittersweet, and a way for him to say goodbye.

Binky Free lovely boy c

Oh bless him. He knew you were there for him to the last. Binky free little one. :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am 100% certain that Hope took a huge amount of comfort from your presence, from your touch. Because of you he was able to pass knowing he has been and always will be loved

What we would all want to know and feel in our final moments

Binky Free Hope xx

Thanks everyone.

I am 100% certain that Hope took a huge amount of comfort from your presence, from your touch. Because of you he was able to pass knowing he has been and always will be loved

What we would all want to know and feel in our final moments

Binky Free Hope xx

That's my hope- I hope he knew I was there and that brought him comfort.

So very sorry.

Binky free Hope.x

Thanks- this is why I was at the vets last night, but when I posted on FB I hadn't heard back about how he was and still had that hope he would be ok.

To me this says, his spirit still wanted to carry on, he recognised you, but unfortunately his body was too weak :cry: So sorry for your loss. RIP Hope xx

I'm so sorry :( It must have meant a lot to him to have your love and comfort at the end.

Binky free Hope xx

Hope went into respiratory failure tonight so we obviously shot to the emergency vets. They admitted him and tried him on oxygen just to see if we could ease it and improve him, but it didn't, so I had to make the call and drove back to the vets to have him PTS.

When I got there they'd got him out of the oxygen chamber and he'd crashed. When I arrived he had hardly a heartbeat, no blink reflex, was breathing very sporadically (that agonal breathing thing) and his eyes were dead. She (the vet) told me he was unconscious and unaware of what was going on around him. I put my hands either side of him and held him, stroked him and spoke to him, and his heart started to beat stronger, he gained back his blink reflex and started to breathe more- his blood pressure even increased. Bonkers.

Unfortunately for my strong chap, he then did have to be PTS because there was no real coming back from that, but, to me, that showed the real importance of that touch and me being there, and he evidently did know what was going on, on some level.

I've known bunnies to calm down and improve drastically when I hold them (even Roger, my wildie), but I've never had anything like that.

I don't know why I felt the need to share that, I just did. Sorry.

Binky Free Schmopey. (Will do his tribute in due course).

What a wonderful thing you did for Hope.

It would be lovely to think there was someone there to do that for us when our time comes.

Rest in peace little one xx

I'm sorry you lost Hope.

But that is wonderful and amazing. It's as if he rallied sufficiently to say goodbye and to let you know how much your love had meant to him.:love:

I'm so, so sorry. You were obviously very special and loved by Hope for him to rally himself in his final moments. Even if he wasn't conscious he will have sensed you were there. I strongly believe that humans and animals have connections with each other; something deeper than we can understand.

Binky free Hope.

Back