• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding UD had a fight

bunbuns

Warren Veteran
:(This is so stressful :shock: so I picked up a buck from the RSPCA today. Initial signs seemed good. When he tried to hump my doe she ran away and when he didn't give up she boxed him. That all settled down but now she's humping him and pulling lumps of fur out while she's doing it. Next minute they are sitting next to each other in the litter tray!

How's it sounding? I'm a nervous wreck :oops:

Last edited:
Hmmm, doesn't sound too bad to me! I'm no expert though! They are on completely neutral territory though right?

He's chasing her and trying to hump her all the time! Should I just leave them? She's still eating and grooming herself so not too stressed x

Sounds like pretty normal bonding behaviour so far. Just keep an eye on her reactions (as you are doing).

Its pretty all consuming isnt it? I watched my four like a hawk and even had to get up at night to intervene at times!

Good luck.

I'm sleeping downstairs with them tonight! OH thinks I'm mad :lol:

I feel it's gonna be a long one :roll:

You need nerves of steel don't you :lol: I found a glass or 2 of wine (for me not the buns :shock:) helped calm the nerves. Have you got them in a smallish place to restrict the amount of chasing they can do? Fingers crossed you get some sleep :thumb:

Yes it's a pretty small space! His chasing just seems to be getting worse and he'll nip her bottom as if he wants her to move.

Think I'll take your advice and have a glass of rose:thumb:

I hope things settle down soon :thumb: could you reduce the space using puppy panels or something if he keeps up with the chasing?

I'm a week into bonding a trio, I slept on the kitchen floor for two nights, (well on the sofa cushions on the kitchen floor - surprisingly comfortable!) my OH thought I was mad too, but I'd have been So worried otherwise.
It sounds like normal bonding behaviour to me, but it sounds like you have two fairly dominant buns as they are both doing the humping, but they should work it out in a few days. It sounds a lot like my last m/f bond too, both humping and a bit of bunny boxing. The thing that worked for these two was a very small space, perhaps 2'x3' just for a day or two, it settled them down nicely.
It is stressful but you know it's the best for your buns so hang in there.... And wine does help :lol:

You could try smearing a little mashed banana on each neck/back to see if that initiates mutual grooming? On the other hand it might just stress them out and make things worse! Lots of luck for tonight!

Well that was a long night, I got more sleep with a newborn baby :lol:

Quite a lot of humping from both at times during the night but also periods of sitting in the litter tray together with him grooming her head :thumb: I'm guessing this is all positive ?? It's just the humping and chasing that stresses me out!

Sounds positive if there is grooming/sitting together :thumb: hope the jumping calms down and you get more sleep tonight

Sounds positive if there is grooming/sitting together :thumb: hope the jumping calms down and you get more sleep tonight

Thank you! So stressful, I'll let someone else do it next time, my nerves are shattered :lol:

Sounds positive :D bonding buns stresses me out so much, piggies are a doddle in comparison :lol:

It's dreadful isn't it :shock: do u think it's too soon to put them in the playhouse? I don't want them getting used to the warmth of the house (even though I switched the heating off last night) :lol:

Back