• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think its time for Twinkle,UD Ive let her go

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
I just don't know what to do.

Shes been on pain relief since she had an problem last week, she did the not eating thing till we were in the car going to the vets.

She has a 'mass' that the vet says at her age (8 or 9) with mammary tumour history its very likely that its cancer.

Every night ive put her and her two husbands to bed and told her to stay well. This morning she wouldn't eat not even her shreedie with pain relief on it.

It took nearly an hour to coax her then she started eating but not with gusto. Ive come home for lunch and shes 'ok' but a little quiet but ate some dandilions and a bit of grass. Her eyes just don't seem quite as bright.

She is already booked in a the vets tonight after last weeks visit.

I have to make that decision for her and it hurts something rotten. Is it cruel to not bring her home when shes so up and down or is it cruel to carry on and maybe she feels ill all night and then I find her poorly again in the morning.

Shes been out and had a trot round the patio this lunchtime but gone back in the shed and left the boys playing out.

I also have to consider the kids, they are swaying from one emotion to the other with her as am I .

I think I know in my heart what I need to do but is so dam hard

Last edited:
It's always so hard trying to do the right thing :cry: If there is any doubt I always ask the vet what they would do if it was their pet. I try to think about what the quality of life is for them, and if there are hardly any times when they are feeling ok, and their spark is gone, then that helps me make the decision.

Hugs x

The lump had grown in 6 days, the vet thought it was possibly connected to a major blood vessel and would travel fast only giving her a matter of a couple of weeks. She talked of possibly having a blood clot or a stroke and how awful that would be for her and for us to witness.

She had her favourite tea and played out with her boys, she was in the middle of a dose of pain relief so was able to hop into the house and to race round the patio. It seemed awfully cruel to take her and she struggled with the bars on the carrier, she didn't want to go but I had to take her and somehow I am glad I did.

I now have a pair of boys that are loved up and hopefully will stay happy with each other, my little 'gay pride' on my patio.

I will smile again....just not today

:( sounds like you did the right thing for her, she's had a lovely life with you and even at the end you've looked out for her best interests and made sure she hasn't suffered, binky free beautiful Twinkle x

Hope you're ok madcatwoman x

I'm so sorry :cry: she has had a lovely life, so try to take comfort in that. Binky free Twinkle.

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

I'm so very sorry :cry: it's never an easy decision to make, but I am sure you did right by her. It sounds as if waiting would've been too likely to end very badly. :( Instead you gave her the most loving gift you could.
Bless you, and binky free Twinkle. ((((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))))) xxxxxxx

Back