• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Potty training

DanAboutTown

Young Bun
Hi,

We had our two rabbits pretty well potty trained until they got spayed a couple of months ago. Now they are choosing to pee and poo everywhere! They are doing it sometimes in the toilet but just as much outside, making it very inconvenient as we have a massive hutch that now needs to be completely cleaned out once every couple of days! Does anybody have any ideas about how to train them again, as the technique we originally used doesn't seem to be working this time?

Thanks.

I was having trouble litter training my hare. When he pee'd outside of his litter tray I would wipe it up with a tissue and put the tissue into the tray to remind him that this is where he should be going and thoroughly cleaned the area where he had pee'd. It's worth a try.

Thanks for your help. Previously we tried moving all the pee soaked sawdust and poo in to the toilet, but this doesn't seem to have worked this time (although last time we did it once every couple of hours, and this time we haven't been able to, due to jobs and things).

I've found having the floor clear of any bedding helps with litter training. So if you haven't got that already I would recommend sticking non slip vynil flooring down in the hutch, and just have hay on top of newspaper or litter in the litter trays. Much easier at cleaning out times and saves on bedding :thumb: also you may need to have more than one tray if they are going a lot elsewhere.

ZooBec is right, 2 trays is sometimes needed depending on the rabbit. My hare needs 2 litter trays on either side of the cage as he prefers to sleep in one tray and pee in the other.
What kind of litter do you use? Sometimes bunnies get confused if the litter in the tray is a similar material to the bedding. My hare and mini lop have blankets in their cages and wood litter in their trays so the litter it is easy to distinguish from the bed :) Hope you manage to get your girls trained again soon! Good luck!

Thanks for your help; we have one large toilet, sawdust on the floor of the hutch (downstairs) and sawdust and hay upstairs. They don't seem to be going to the toilet too much upstairs, just downstairs. Last week we switched to wooden pellets in the toilet, so they don't get as confused. It seems to have helped a little, so hopefully they with time they will realise where they should be going to the toilet!

Back