• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mottle keeps sneezing

tulsi

Wise Old Thumper
He has been to the vet twice and both times has been declared free of snuffles and given baytril. But his sneezing doesnt stop. I hear him coughing sometimes as well. (He and Peaches are indoors these days). I feel so bad for him.

Should I take him to the vet again and ask for some further tests and if so what?

They listened to his lungs both other times.

Is he in a centrally heated room ? Central heating can really irritate the airways of some Rabbits. Using humidifiers in the room can help.

Another cause of sneezing can be problems related to the tooth roots.

Aswell as Baytril was he given Metacam ? Reducing inflammation within the respiratory tract is necessary.

I would take him back to the Vet and I would expect the Vet to do more than just send you away with yet more Baytril.

He wasnt given metacam. They do have a radiator in the area they are in but its very open plan. The house is damp (in a valley, by a stream and built against a bank). We only have the heating on for a couple of hours each evening.

I will ring and make an appointment and ask for metacam. I want more than just baytril (again) but not sure what I do want/need to ask for.

He wasnt given metacam. They do have a radiator in the area they are in but its very open plan. The house is damp (in a valley, by a stream and built against a bank). We only have the heating on for a couple of hours each evening.

I will ring and make an appointment and ask for metacam. I want more than just baytril (again) but not sure what I do want/need to ask for.

The sneezing may not be due to infection, so first I'd want to establish what else may be causing it- eg dental issues, allergies.

Is there any nasal/ocular discharge ? Is his respiratory rate/effort normal ?

He has been to the vet twice and both times has been declared free of snuffles and given baytril. But his sneezing doesnt stop. I hear him coughing sometimes as well. (He and Peaches are indoors these days). I feel so bad for him.

Should I take him to the vet again and ask for some further tests and if so what?

They listened to his lungs both other times.

Sneezing may not necessarily be due to infection. It could be allergy. Rabbits can suddenly become allergic to things just as we can - e.g. hay (especially a different batch). If it's allergy related you can help enormously by putting a hepa air filter/purifier in their area. I am not personally a fan of using Metacam too often, as it can be rather hard on the kidneys, particularly long term xx

The sneezing may not be due to infection, so first I'd want to establish what else may be causing it- eg dental issues, allergies.

Is there any nasal/ocular discharge ? Is his respiratory rate/effort normal ?

His repiratory rate/effort is normal. There is a bit of discharge but Peaches keeps him really clean. I dont know about an allergy. I havent noticed a change. He still sneezes. Its never gone away despite the baytril.

He is a bit of a sneezer and has been since he came to us (over a year ago now).

He hasnt been given metacam yet so it mabe something that can help him. Not sure what to ask the vet for ...

Tilly and Munch have a pinch of Bisolven every day which may help. I'd expect the vet to check the nose thoroughly as well as teeth as it may be something as simple as a hay seed lodged up . Maybe it's time for a c+s test :wave:

His repiratory rate/effort is normal. There is a bit of discharge but Peaches keeps him really clean. I dont know about an allergy. I havent noticed a change. He still sneezes. Its never gone away despite the baytril.

I think it would be a good idea to ask the Vet about possible diagnostics to try to find out the primary cause of his continuous sneezing. These may include deep nasal swabs (sedation needed for these) and possibly skull radiographs to assess the sinuses/tooth roots.

If the discharge is clear it may not be 'active' infection, more a chronic rhinitis. Abx would have no effect on this. But as I said, I think trying to find the primary cause would be what I'd want the Vet to do

Good luck xx

Back