• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help!! wet feet/paws and tail

loubylou34

Warren Scout
Hi, I have 2 beautiful (if a very grumpy!) bunnies, Pajamas is 4 yrs old and Button is 2, they are very happy, about a month ago Pajamas looked like he was not hopping properly, so I took him to the vet (for the first time except vaxs) he was checked over, and it was decided he was fine,maybe had a small injury and I was to keep an eye on him (I also blocked off the bottom part of the hutch so he wasn't doing stairs for a couple weeks)

He is ok now, I am not convinced he is quite himself, ( I don't think he moves quite as much as before, but it's hard to tell) but he seems happy enough, But when I put them away at night from the garden grass run each day, his paws are soaking. Not sore, I have checked his hocks and clipped his nails close to the quick. but I don't ever remember seeing their paws that wet, in fact Buttons paws aren't as wet, more just the outer layer, he is sopping and so is his tail.
Any ideas what this could be or what I can do?? Am I being a worry wart bunny mummy?

hmm, I would get a second opinion from a good bunny vet! My first thought is he has some spinal issue which means he can't reach to clean himself properly. It could also be major dental disease which would make licking themselves clean a painful experience.

An x-ray of his hind end would be a good start. Was that done when he had the previous injury?

no x rays were done, I have watched him, he is grooming himself, I might need to find a better vet, because as I said I have never had to take him. (Although I did feel first vet knew his stuff, talked about latest research into EC showing that it often is mis-represented and is other things,
)

If you start a new thread "bunny savvy vets in Leicester", someone local should be able to recommend.

When my rabbit had a very wet tail and feet she had a urine infection. I know it sounds gross but if you smell the wet area you should be able to smell if it's wee or not.

I would suspect either E.C or a urine infection. With him having a few mobility issues, I'd be more inclined to think E.C. He will need a 28 day course of panacur and a course of metacam.

Definitely pop him to a rabbit savvy vet as soon as you can. Fingers crossed they find out what is wrong and he recovers quickly. :)

Thanks all, from what you guys have said I think it does sound like EC, I have been and bought some Pancur to start while I find a decent vet I am FURIOUS that he has got so much worse, he is almost dragging his legs this afternoon (when he thinks Im not looking!)
because I asked the first vet if it might be EC and he totally dismissed me!! made me feel v stupid for even suggesting it!!

Thanks all, from what you guys have said I think it does sound like EC, I have been and bought some Pancur to start while I find a decent vet I am FURIOUS that he has got so much worse, he is almost dragging his legs this afternoon (when he thinks Im not looking!)
because I asked the first vet if it might be EC and he totally dismissed me!! made me feel v stupid for even suggesting it!!

You were right to suggest to your vet E.C and you should feel furious with your previous vet for dismissing it. I think you are also right to start the panacur straight away as it won't hurt if it turns out to be something else. I do hope you manage to get him to a vet tomorrow as it sounds like he is deteriorating quickly.

Sending vibes.

Back