• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sudden death of my bunny Jessica - advise for comforting her partner needed

EB18

Warren Scout
I can't believe I'm writing this!

My gorgeous 3 year old bunny Jessica died overnight and I'm still in shock.
My partner went to give them more hay and clean trays last night and do our normal checks before bed. Jessica was running around with her partner Casper eating her hay and the green part of a carrot top and even had a fenugreek cookie( not sure spelt right). Me and my partner checked everyone over making sure poos are normal ( I have another rabbit with dental issues, so this is a routine for us as I've experienced how quick he can go down hill). They live in an outhouse which is 10ftx6ft and access to outside runs via runaround which is closed at night, there was no fireworks last night, the outhouse is insulated and no big drop in temperature overnight and everyone of my bunnies seemed happy. They hadn't been given anything different from normal.

In the morning my partner went to clean out litter trays, give them their science selective nuggets and hay, but he found my Jessica in her flopped/sleeping position in her big litter/ nesting box dead. She looked so perfect showing no signs, all poos were normal, no signs if her eating anything she shouldn't have. They have all rabbit safe toys. She looked so peaceful. I'm so heartbroken! The vets are performing a postmortem to see if they can understand why and making sure my other rabbits were all ok.

She's left her partner Casper behind and I'm trying to give him attention, he looks so sad it breaks my heart! Can anyone give me advise on what I can do to make things easier for him? and how long before I should consider getting a new friend? He has my other pair EB and Lola next him in the indoor area and often they all used to sit beside one another with the fence in between. I want to do everything I can for him.

I am very sorry to hear of your awful shock. :cry:

Were they all vaccinated?

Unfortunately bunnies are very good at hiding illness. Perhaps she had a genetic problem with her heart or something similar. I am sre you will have answers after the postmortem.

Having other bunnies nearby will certainly help him. I would wait until you get the results from the pm back (to make sure it was nothing contagious) and start looking for a friend for him. Make sure YOU are also ready for another bunny.

Binky free Jessica. Sending nose rubs to her partner, Casper.

Thank you.
Yea they are all up to date with vaccinations, she had her last ones in August.

Last edited:
Aw, I am so sorry for your unexpected loss. Your grief at losing your special friend has the added unpleasantness of shock too. :cry:

I would give Caspar lots of love, attention and his special treats. Also maybe a cuddly toy to snuggle to. At least he saw her body which as hard as it is, is supposed to help with the grieving process.

Give yourself a little time to come to terms with things before you rush in to making any decisions, but at the end of the day, you know Caspar and your other buns and I am sure you will make the right decision for you all.

Hugs and nose rubs to Caspar and you at this very sad time. :(

Thank you.
Yea they are all up today with vaccinations, she had her last ones in August.

In that case, I really doubt it's anything contagious. The results of the pm will hopefully put your mind at ease that there was nothing you could have done. You sound like a very good bunny parent and do hope you are not blaming yourself. Have you posted in the rainbow bridge section? It may help to post a nice tribute to her with some of your favourite pics and moments.

When my bun, Fiver, lost his partner during a GA he suffered a lot. :( I used to bring him into the living room (he lives free range in my bedroom) so that he could spend some time with people. He's a very people bunny and he absolutely loved it, but it was impossible to have him LIVE in the main room because we had dogs. The time in the living room certainly helped him until he was well enough to be bonded with another bun.
With your bun being an outdoor bun I'd just spend a lot of time in his pen with him. You can also offer a teddy, some buns really like having teddies.

Something very similar happened with my buns. It is heartbreaking.

It could be a heart condition as they are very hard to detect, even when I had a post mortem done on Benji, they could only just conclude that it was cardio myopathy as he was very healthy in every way.

Thank you, yea I hadn't thought of the rainbow bridge section, I will definitely put a tribute in there for her. I try to be the best bunny parent I can and it breaks my heart that she was so young. I'm trying not to blame myself but it's hard especially when you promise to do everything for them and the unexpected happens. I'm hoping the pm will help with that.

I rescued her from a person at work about 2 years ago who's son was bored of her and said she was aggressive. She turned out with a little bit of patience and a spay to be my most confident and friendly bunny of the bunch and I then had Caroline at the rabbit residence rescue bond her with my other rescued rabbit Casper. She said it was instant love and she had never had a bond so quick.

I will make sure I sit in his pen area and give him lots if attention, he's currently sat with me inside as the heating has been off and it's just as cold in the house at the moment as it is in his outhouse looking at the temperature on the clock out there. He's sill eating and taking food off me so I guess that's a good sign. Xxx

I'm so sorry :cry: I lost both my girls unexpectedly within 2 weeks of each other recently, they were sisters and less than 2 years old. The vet thought it was probably a congenital heart problem in their case. It is such a shock when they go like that without any signs of illness :cry:

At least Casper still has the other bunnies near him, I would see if you can find him a partner from a rescue, so that he has somebunny to snuggle with this winter.

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss of Jessica.

I would give Casper some time to deal with the situation and see how he behaves in a few days. He will show you whether he wants a friend or is OK for the moment as things are.

I do hope the PM gives you some info and closure xx

So sorry to hear of your sudden loss. Most rabbits cope quite well with the loss of their partner and it helps I think if they have other rabbits around. I hope Casper will be all right and you find out what caused it from the PM.

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny. I lost a bunny last week and am in a similar position with a lone bunny left. I had decided to wait until after Christmas to get her a new friend but I'm starting to get a little concerned that she is getting lonely as she loved her partner. I bring her indoors for cuddles but as I can't give her one to one attention all the time I'm worried she is lonely.

I think it's up to you if you can cope with a new bunny so soon. I didn't want a new one so soon but I'm concerned with the welfare if my remaining rabbit so I'm going to buy the hutch I had planned to get for my pair and try and visit a rescue soon.

I'm so sorry you lost Jessica. I hope the PM results will help give you 'closure '. I lost a bunny last year who had been absolutely fine the evening before. My vet thought a congenital defect.:cry:

We did get her brother a new friend after 2 weeks. Not because he was showing any signs of grief but we are at work during the day and I was worried about him needing companionship as he is a 'buns bunny '. At least Casper has other bunnies in view so don't rush into anything until you're all ready.

Binky Free Jessica.

I am so sorry to hear this sad news, sudden deaths are never easy... Binky free Jessica
I hope the vets can shed some light on this for you...

Lots of love and noserubs for your lonely little man xxx

Back