• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet matted fur on tail and around genitals

Salza

Young Bun
Our rabbit Daisy was very sore around her genitals. The vet prescribed antibiotic cream which seemed to clean the soreness up. However, her tail and fur around her genitals is wet and matted.I am not sure if it is due to running outside or urine as she is not too good at using her tray. I have tried cornflour to try and dry her off which has helped a bit but her tail is just a mass of wet fur as is the fur around her genitals. Can anyone offer any advice? She is very feisty and not easy to handle which does not help.:(

You need to take her back to the Vet

If it is urine causing wetness this may be indicative of a health problem such as a urinary tract infection, bladder 'sludge' or a neurological problem effecting her ability to control her bladder

It is always abnormal for a Rabbit to have a soiled rear end, so it is always better to try to identify and treat the cause not just the symptoms. The Vet may also be able to shave off all the matted fur and this will make keeping her clean and dry easier for you. If the wetness continues she will require daily 'hands on' care from you to keep her clean and dry and to apply a barrier cream to try to minimise the amount of urine scald.

Agree with Jane. Would also change vets - I can't imagine any rabbit-savvy vet giving cream as the only treatment - clearly there's an underlying cause! If you post a thread looking for a rabbit-savvy vet in xxx you will probably get help finding one. She needs to see a vet asap. :wave:

You need to take her back to the Vet

If it is urine causing wetness this may be indicative of a health problem such as a urinary tract infection, bladder 'sludge' or a neurological problem effecting her ability to control her bladder

It is always abnormal for a Rabbit to have a soiled rear end, so it is always better to try to identify and treat the cause not just the symptoms. The Vet may also be able to shave off all the matted fur and this will make keeping her clean and dry easier for you. If the wetness continues she will require daily 'hands on' care from you to keep her clean and dry and to apply a barrier cream to try to minimise the amount of urine scald.

Thank you for your advice. I have booked to take Daisy back to the Vet tomorrow afternoon and hopefully he will come up with something. She seems to know when she needs to wee as she sometimes uses a tray. She was over 2 years old when we got her and had been kept in a hutch in a shed so we have never had much luck litter training her as we did with our other rabbits.

Agree with Jane. Would also change vets - I can't imagine any rabbit-savvy vet giving cream as the only treatment - clearly there's an underlying cause! If you post a thread looking for a rabbit-savvy vet in xxx you will probably get help finding one. She needs to see a vet asap. :wave:

Thank you for your advice. I have booked to take Daisy back to the Vet tomorrow afternoon and hopefully he will come up with something. She seems to know when she needs to wee as she sometimes uses a tray. She was over 2 years old when we got her and had been kept in a hutch in a shed so we have never had much luck litter training her as we did with our other rabbits. He has been really good with our rabbits over the years so would rather not have to change vets but obviously if I have to then I will.

Still having a problem

Thank you for your advice. I have booked to take Daisy back to the Vet tomorrow afternoon and hopefully he will come up with something. She seems to know when she needs to wee as she sometimes uses a tray. She was over 2 years old when we got her and had been kept in a hutch in a shed so we have never had much luck litter training her as we did with our other rabbits. He has been really good with our rabbits over the years so would rather not have to change vets but obviously if I have to then I will.

Re earlier post. Daisy has now had two courses of Baytril about 2 months apart. The problem appears to clear up, she becomes dry and her fur grows back. Then about 8 weeks after finishing Baytril she gets wet and sore again. We are currently trying a different antibiotic: Septrin. However, she has been on this for 6 days and is showing no sign of improvement. If, as the vet initially thought, she has a stone or crystals in her bladder, then I cannot understand why the previous 2 courses of antibiotics would result in her being dry and her fur growing back as she would surely still be incapable of weeing properly? We were hoping that perhaps she has a urine infection that has never quite gone away hence trying a different antibiotic. She has also been treated with Panacur and shows no signs of Ec. She is not overweight, eats well and runs around the garden so presume no arthritis or other problems. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Re earlier post. Daisy has now had two courses of Baytril about 2 months apart. The problem appears to clear up, she becomes dry and her fur grows back. Then about 8 weeks after finishing Baytril she gets wet and sore again. We are currently trying a different antibiotic: Septrin. However, she has been on this for 6 days and is showing no sign of improvement. If, as the vet initially thought, she has a stone or crystals in her bladder, then I cannot understand why the previous 2 courses of antibiotics would result in her being dry and her fur growing back as she would surely still be incapable of weeing properly? We were hoping that perhaps she has a urine infection that has never quite gone away hence trying a different antibiotic. She has also been treated with Panacur and shows no signs of Ec. She is not overweight, eats well and runs around the garden so presume no arthritis or other problems. Any ideas would be most appreciated.
When my bunny, Amigo, had an infection, he also had a very spiky looking bladder stone called a jack stone. My vet told me the infection may have caused the stone, or the stone and irritation in his bladder may have caused the infection. He was put on Batril and he had surgery to remove this horrible looking stone. That took care of the situation.

When my bunny, Amigo, had an infection, he also had a very spiky looking bladder stone called a jack stone. My vet told me the infection may have caused the stone, or the stone and irritation in his bladder may have caused the infection. He was put on Batril and he had surgery to remove this horrible looking stone. That took care of the situation.

I agree that there may well be bladder stones or bladder sludge. Whilst the Baytril cleared up the infection it would not get rid of the cause (stones/sludge). So once the abx treatment stops the infection can recur.
Also, with bladder infection the course of abx usually needs to go on for at least 14 days. Sometimes the infection is deep within the bladder wall an a 7 day course of abx treatment just does not eliminate all of the bugs.

I would recommend getting abdominal Xrays done to check the bladder and kidneys. Also having the Vet run a full blood profile and urinalysis. Then the Vet may be able to identify the primary cause of the recurrent incontinence rather than just treating the symptoms.

Good luck xx

Has the vet ever expressed her bladder and found there to be any sludge or excess calcium at all?

I agree with you, that the behaviour you describe doesn't suggest that she is in pain with sludge or stones. How long does the vet propose to keep her on Septrin before moving on to other diagnostics?

Stones

Has the vet ever expressed her bladder and found there to be any sludge or excess calcium at all?

I agree with you, that the behaviour you describe doesn't suggest that she is in pain with sludge or stones. How long does the vet propose to keep her on Septrin before moving on to other diagnostics?

Thank you to everyone for their help. No the vet has never tried to express her bladder. He has prescribed Septrin for 2 weeks. If that does not work then am offered a scan £80 which may not show anything. Then X ray £120. If a stone then £400 just for vets time without meds and anesthetic. Although I will pay this if necessary I still cannot understand why, if a stone, she would recover after antibiotics for a few weeks. Cannot see how antibiotics would stop her having the problem when weeing caused by stone. Do not wish to pay out £600 for an operation which may not resolve problem.

Thanks for your help. From what you are saying I assume that the bladder stones or sludge would cause an infection?

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. From what you are saying I assume that the bladder stones or sludge would cause an infection?

Yes and if the source of bladder irritation-ie the sludge/stones- are not removed the infection will return once the antibiotics are stopped. The sludge/stones can get worse over time and eventually the kidneys can become effected too. This being a much more serious condition. So trying to establish if bladder sludge/stones are an issue is important, IMO.

Good luck.

I understand your reluctance to pay funds for testing since some tests do not change diagnosis/treatment. However, that is not the case with bladder stones/sludge. An X-ray will show any stones clearly. If there are no stones, then your vet may want to try a different antibiotic or treat for a longer period. If there is a stone, removing the stone will keep your bunny from having more infections, more visits to the vets, more antibiotics, and more discomfort.

Scan done today

I understand your reluctance to pay funds for testing since some tests do not change diagnosis/treatment. However, that is not the case with bladder stones/sludge. An X-ray will show any stones clearly. If there are no stones, then your vet may want to try a different antibiotic or treat for a longer period. If there is a stone, removing the stone will keep your bunny from having more infections, more visits to the vets, more antibiotics, and more discomfort.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Daisy had a scan today and although she does not appear to have a stone she does have lots of sludge/sand. Am currently discussing best way forward with the Vet.

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Daisy had a scan today and although she does not appear to have a stone she does have lots of sludge/sand. Am currently discussing best way forward with the Vet.

I'm pleased Daisy had a scan and you've found the sludge. It can be very painful for a rabbit, so I will be interested to see what your vet proposes regarding ongoing treatment. I too have had a bunny with bladder sludge in the past x

Bladder Sludge

I'm pleased Daisy had a scan and you've found the sludge. It can be very painful for a rabbit, so I will be interested to see what your vet proposes regarding ongoing treatment. I too have had a bunny with bladder sludge in the past x

I will definitely let you know. May I ask what treatment your bunny had?

If, from radiographs, a Rabbit is found to have a lot of bladder sludge urethral catheterisation (under GA) is often required to remove the sludge/flush out the bladder. This would normally be done straight away when the sludge build up is diagnosed. There are further details here, a bit of 'light' reading for you !! :D :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HypercalciuriaRabbits.htm

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/navc/2006/SAE/638.pdf?LA=1

http://www.sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/hypercalciuria_in_rabbits.pdf

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-5/calcium.html

Bladder Sludge

If, from radiographs, a Rabbit is found to have a lot of bladder sludge urethral catheterisation (under GA) is often required to remove the sludge/flush out the bladder. This would normally be done straight away when the sludge build up is diagnosed. There are further details here, a bit of 'light' reading for you !! :D :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/HypercalciuriaRabbits.htm

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/navc/2006/SAE/638.pdf?LA=1

http://www.sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/hypercalciuria_in_rabbits.pdf

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-5/calcium.html

Thank you. Vet feels that it will be extremely difficult to insert catheter into Daisy as her tract is very small
. She is scheduled to have surgery to open bladder & remove sludge on Thursday. Despite being on Baytril again she is continually wet and it appears she is just dribbling urine all the time now.

Thank you. Vet feels that it will be extremely difficult to insert catheter into Daisy as her tract is very small
. She is scheduled to have surgery to open bladder & remove sludge on Thursday. Despite being on Baytril again she is continually wet and it appears she is just dribbling urine all the time now.

I really hope that the surgery will be successful and that Daisy will go on to make a full recovery xx

Back