• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT: Information needed on how long it takes stasis meds to work - Getting Worried

HouseOfRabbit

Warren Scout
I took Quinn to the vets this afternoon for stasis at 1pm and she had Metacam, Emeprid, Ranitidine and Vetergesic injections at that time. She is lapping up a little water from time to time but has no interested in herbs or any other food yet and also isn't pooing or weeing. She's also just started stomach pressing and on feeling her stomach I'm finding a bulge coming from under her right last four ribs (gas in stomach?) which she didn't have when I took her to the vets.

I'm just wondering if any RU members with experience of stasis could let me know how long they would expect meds to take effect and if they've had any experience of something like this please? Usually by now I would have expected to have seen some improvement and some interest in food and, as it's nine hours now since the meds with nothing but starting to stomach press, I'm getting worried.

Thanks

I don't know about the time period, but if you've found a hard lump in her stomach then it may be a blockage, which she needs to go back to the vets for. Did the vet check for blockages when you went today? And if she is stomach-pressing then she sounds like she's in pain.

Nothing mentioned about blockage just very little gut sounds. Her right side wasn't swollen quite like that about 2 hours ago. Been giving her tummy rubs and trying to get her to move around but I'm running out of ideas.

IMO it doesn't sound like typical stasis if one side is more swollen than the other. Can you post a pic? I wouldn't give her any more tummy rubs as that could actually be more painful, especially if she has a blockage. Honestly, if you can feel a lump and her side is swollen, I'd be taking her back ASAP. A bloated and distended abdomen is one of the main signs of a blockage, which can be very serious and get progressively worse if left untreated, not to mention causing pain.

Your vet sounds fairly knowledgable, at least. Although I am surprised they did not check for a blockage.

Vibes for your bunny x

Last edited:
I'd ideally want her assessed again if she was one of my rabbits. I'd definitely have expected the meds to be working after 2 - 3 hours and for her to appear comfortable now even if not eating. It does sound like she has got worse recently. At minimum I'd ring the vets for advice but I would hope they suggest you take her back to be re-assessed. I'd be especially concerned as you say she hasn't passed any droppings yet.

Yeah I was thinking this wasn't normal as well based on my experience this week with Sylvester's stasis episode. Thanks for your opinion, I'm going to phone the vets now as I'm not happy either with what I'm seeing and not seeing.

I would expect to see an improvement within a couple of hours really. I would ring your vet and see what they say and ask about hospitalising her. The metacam and vetergesic should still be working so she must be very uncomfortable to be tummy-pressing.

Yes, it sounds like your vet is quite on the ball so I'd give them a call and describe what you are seeing/feeling and see what they suggest.

Rainbow Bridge

Thank you for your replies and concern it's really appreciated.

I'm really sorry to have to write this but in the short time it took to get Quinn to the out of hours vet she had gotten much worse; she was in shock, had hypothermia, her stomach was really bloated and she had a blood glucose of 23. Given how poorly she was it wasn't fair to put her through an operation with no guarantee of success so the only right thing I could do was have her PTS. :cry:

It's going to be very strange going out to my Harlequin pair's run and just calling "Harley" rather than "Harley, Quinn" when I have food. Really missing my silly girl and her antics but I have a lot of memories and a scar on my hand where she bit me in protest over the strange scent of Logan and Sylvester when I brought that pair home to remember her by.

Always remembered,
Never forgotten,
Forever loved.
:cry:

Back