• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit missing but paw found

emjay6

New Kit
Hi everyone,

This isn't what I wanted to write for my first forum post but It's really really killing me.

My bunny went missing Tuesday night, of course we searched frantically for her but it was like finding a needle in a haystack. This morning my partner found her paw about 10 feet away from our garden.

What would do this? Surely if it had just been killed whatever did it would have taken the whole body?

My boyfriend has been in bits and I'm just barely keeping it together.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Her sister is looking very sad and we need to find her a new bunny friend, I'm also considering moving her inside as this has really shaken me up.

Many thanks..

Emma

I'm so sorry, how sad :( sometimes foxes leave parts behind, for whatever reason! I know that's not great to hear but hopefully more comforting than something sinister

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I agree a fox is most likely. I would be quite concerned about your other bunny as foxes often return. You need to be very sure that the accommodation she is in is secure keeping in mind foxes can jump, dig and will chew at enclosures so you need firmly attached wesh mesh and any wood panels eg ply needs to be 10mm minimum. If bringing her inside is an option that might be a good idea.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I agree a fox is most likely. I would be quite concerned about your other bunny as foxes often return. You need to be very sure that the accommodation she is in is secure keeping in mind foxes can jump, dig and will chew at enclosures so you need firmly attached wesh mesh and any wood panels eg ply needs to be 10mm minimum. If bringing her inside is an option that might be a good idea.

Thanks Tamsin,

I really do want to move her inside, but I heard that drastic heat changes can cause serious damage and even death, so I'm worrying about that too!

Thanks Tamsin,

I really do want to move her inside, but I heard that drastic heat changes can cause serious damage and even death, so I'm worrying about that too!

If you put her initially into a cold room (maybe heating off and window open?) she should be fine. She might be feeling scared outside too, poor thing :(

Moving in (especially into a cool part of the house - do youhave a conservatory or unheated spare room?) will be MUCH better that leaving her out - the fox will almost undoubtedly come back and just hearing and seeing it will make her petrified - possibly fatally.

Also you can help her get over her sad loss (and she you). She will also now be cold out as she has lost her snuggle companion.

So sorry for the loss.

Oh gosh, that's awful! I'm very sorry for your loss especially in such terrible circumstances. Console yourself that foxes kill their prey very quickly so she wouldn't have suffered.

I won't add to advice about bringing her sister indoors as it'll just repeat what's already been put.

Very sad for your loss.

So sorry for your loss :cry:

My friend had a pair of sisters before and they got attacked, the fox took the bodys and left the heads :cry:

I just wanted to say I'm sorry and you've had some good advise about bringing them in so I won't add Xx

So very sorry, certainly sounds like a fox attack.

I too would move your other rabbit inside. The temperature isn't that cold outside at the moment so I think she would be fine in the house.

Yes, if you can adjust to something half way, eg turn the radiator off in one room and leave the window open a while, that would be good. But I think in the circumstances even if that's not possible I'd bring her in. The bigger problem is going from inside to out, going the other way she shouldn't be as much of an issue as long as your house isn't tropical.

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my beloved boy Stripe to a fox attack when I was younger, and it really is heartbreaking :(

Binky free bunny xxx

Moving in (especially into a cool part of the house - do youhave a conservatory or unheated spare room?) will be MUCH better that leaving her out - the fox will almost undoubtedly come back and just hearing and seeing it will make her petrified - possibly fatally

Exactly this :thumb:

Rest in peace poor rabbit. Sorry you had to die such a horrendous death.
Hope your sister is being kept safe.

Moving indoors at this time of year is certainly less risky than moving out a 'centrally heated' rabbit.

I'm so very sorry for your loss :cry:

Back