• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

poorly peeper

Lolly's mum

Mama Doe
Hi all!

my Bella bunny often suffers with a sore right eye. At first I would rush her to the vets and they would prescribe Fucithalmic ointment which helped. However, I've worked out that she does not have a persistant infection but is intollerant to some type of hay(s). I have kept a diary of what hay she has and whether it causes a problem but I can't narrow it down.

This morning her eye was fine, open and bright ,but this evening it's looking sore. Can you flush a rabbits eye with sterile water or bss as with humans? It normally clears itself after a few hours but it upsets me to think it's irritating her and I don't want to go steaming in with antibiotic cream if it's not needed

help appreciated

em xx

I would not 'flush' the eye with anything unless a Vet had first examined her. There is always a chance that she has a corneal abrasion from a hay seed/stalk and if that were not treated appropriately with an abx eye preparation it could develop into a corneal ulcer.

If it normally clears itself then I would hang on. I don't think it would be beneficial to flush her eye out but not 100% sure.

I would not 'flush' the eye with anything unless a Vet had first examined her. There is always a chance that she has a corneal abrasion from a hay seed/stalk and if that were not treated appropriately with an abx eye preparation it could develop into a corneal ulcer.

thanks! i don't think it's an abrasion as it clears itself fairly quickly. it is strange that it only affects her right eye. and it happens when she goes hay "snorkling" - rumaging nose first in the hay tray.

Back