• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wintertime for Lopsy

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
We're now moving Lopsy every 2-3 weeks without fail as the grass grows much slower. His previous run-area is quite the mudpatch. We moved him today: the OH was even late for gaming (Descent) to help move him, bless him :) I'm upset/annoyed that the weather is too poor to get on with erecting his wendy house, but my Dad has the same problem with the run too, so neither of us are making much progress :( I feel like I'm failing him because I can't spend the time he needs me to be with him, and the plan has always been to get him a friend he can live with so he DOESN'T need me, except for the feeding and watering and cleaning and checking. He's stuck in his tiny house and tiny run, and even though I think 'I'll take some time off work' that's not even realistic because I need to give at least a week's notice and the weather is too changeable at this time of year to do that! Today is a great example of that :roll:

I noticed he seemed to be keeping one foot off the ground; well, not even that. When he hops, it looks a bit like he's taking pressure off his left rear foot much sooner. But he stands full-weight on it fine: I made him balance to the left side (stretching up) and he was fine. He doesn't hop any different, from looking at him at all other angles, I think he just hops a bit weird. No obvious injuries to the foot, and he wasn't very quick to take it out of my hand earlier when I had a poke about. It's possible he's always done it and I've just not noticed it: I've taken his tarp off so I could see him better while I was outside! I'll observe him closer when I go out later to give him his sunset feed, and tomorrow, and if there's anything vaguely sinister it'll be appointment with the vets Monday morning.

Other than that he's his usual greedy self. We tried weighing him today but the mathematics returned that he weighs -1kg...! With Lopsy: 8kg. Without Lopsy (we use two bricks and his carry case, bricks so it's level and on the footpads and not hiding the display): 9kg. I think my scales might be broken! Didn't stress him out by getting him back in the carrier and reweighing him: will try again tomorrow with different scales!

Thanks Bunny Magics :) I managed to give him a good handle Saturday evening, and rechecked yesterday afternoon and this morning on his feet/hopping. Absolutely no issues, all fine! I think it might have just been the angle I was looking at him! He's standing fine as usual and looks to be hopping normally now, and wasn't concerned when I had a good pull and poke about on his leg and paw. Underside was fine too: no foreign bodies, loose toes or differences between muscles in either leg. He's also 'walking' fine: he walks his treatball into his tunnels, and that requires good weight distribution, so I have no more concerns.

OH has informed me he's not gaming next Saturday and neither of us are gaming Friday night, so hopefully that means two of us can get up dead early and get a full daylight's worth of work done, which should mean the wendy house is at least liveable in by end of Sunday! With the new run not being ready, I think I'm going to have to forego using the wendy house and new run as a neutral bonding area and just get Lopsy in ASAP and keep his current hutch+run setup as a temporary run. At 5'x4', the run's not terrible, and the under-hutch run bit is an extra 4' on top of the 5' length, but that's only 18" wide and the hutch itself is the worst bit of the whole lot space-wise, so if I can avoid using that as soon as possible, then that's better than leaving him half-filling the bedding area!

I foresee an evening trip to IKEA this Saturday...!

That's good news! Mine have been So much happier since we upgraded their hutch to a shed. I'm sure Little Lopsy will be too :)
It's also a good feeling for me as well as them, so it will be for you too. Looking forwards to hearing how it goes with the wendy house this weekend :thumb:

Managed to weigh Lopsy successfully: 2.1kg, so down a bit. Have upped his pellets to two scoops and upped his 100% OK (i.e. not kale as that's potentially problematic) veg intake.

Moved him this week to the super-grassy area :D There's still a bit left... Bought some Readigrass too for when it all ends up a mudpatch. And a snugglesafe for the chilly nights which will be in use tonight! I'm a bit concerned it'll be too warm; and that sometimes I go to bed really early (like 8pm) so it might not be warm enough by the time it gets REALLY cold at 7am...

Left the mesh cover on today as it was windy. Lopsy was under the tarp when I went out but soon came out and bounced around like a loon when I offered him my de-pipped apple core ;P

Bought some Readigrass too for when it all ends up a mudpatch. And a snugglesafe for the chilly nights which will be in use tonight! I'm a bit concerned it'll be too warm; and that sometimes I go to bed really early (like 8pm) so it might not be warm enough by the time it gets REALLY cold at 7am...

Yeah, I'm concerned about the snugglesafe thing too... I'm putting mine in between 8pm and 10 pm and I worry they will be well cold in the early hours as I'm not convinced they stay warm for 10 hours , it says 'up to 10 hours' on the instructions. Also mine are starting to eat the snuggle covers, so I've had to remove them :roll:
Last night I put one under a rug , which was okay ( as long as they don't start to eat that too ( another :eye roll: )
the other I put under a deep layer of newspaper which they had dug up by this morning ( yet another :eye roll: )
What to do hey !

At least they like their readygrass :D

My piggies are in the garage and I have started putting a snugglesafe in with them at around 10pm. When I go into them in the morning, anytime between 6am and 7 am the snugglesafe is cold.

Back