• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Josy has an ulcer in her eye.- she's passed away.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Josy is a nethie we took in a few months ago, she was part of a large rescue. Fairly beloved took the rest to Rehome but we kept Josy because she had cystits and the vet suspected mastitis, she was also a bit feisty.
A few weeks ago we put her in to be spayed and have the mammary lump removed, I asked for x-Rays first, just in case the lump was cancer and check it hadn't spread to her lungs. Luckily I did because her heart became very irratic while being x-rayed and the vet said he wasn't happy to carry on with the op. We agreed and may try at a later date with a different anaesthetic protocol.
Anyway when I picked her up one eye was all gunky, the vet said to put fucithalmic in a couple of times a day, but no improvement. She saw the vet again and we added in a corneal repair gel as well as increasing number is treatments to 3 times a day for both the gel and the fucithalmic. She is slightly better, the vet thinks but to me it looks like her eyelashes are now turning in. Obviously I don't want to operate on her anytime soon but I can't seem to get on top of this eye issue.
To add, Josy has always been prone to a dirty bum, x-Rays showed she has a severely deformed spine so probably can't get down to clean herself, so at least we know why.

Last edited:
Poor Bun :cry: I have always found that chloramphenicol works better than fucithalmic for treating corneal ulcers as CMP penetrates the cornea where as fucithalmic does not. I hope that Josy will respond to treatment. Is she on Metacam too ? The ulcer will be sore and her spinal deformity may be causing some pain too. I am sure that you will do all you can to help her, thank goodness you were able to take her in xx

Bless her, poor bun. I agree with Jane that pain relief is essential, I've also found fucithalmic not that good at clearing ulcers. Obviously it will vary depending on the cause and bacteria present, I've not used chloramphenicol but I have had excellent speedy results with ciloxan or exocin. Dudley had a persistent ulcer caused by a hay seed and he had fucithalmic for about 3 weeks but it was only getting slightly smaller, swapped to ciloxan and it was gone in about 3 days!

I hope she can be sorted out very soon x x

I'm ashamed to say I didn't think about metacam! :roll: I'll talk to the vet about it, I need to get her in and rechecked anyway, her eye is slightly better and the remend corneal eye gel is supposed to be very good. She bright and eating so at least she's not gone off her food and has been very good about getting the drops.
I'm guessing her eye dried out while under anaesthetic and caused the ulcer.

I found Josy dead this morning. She was fine last night so I hope she didn't suffer.
I feel so sad that we never got her spayed and bonded.
I'm assuming it may have been her heart, but it doesn't make it any easier, especially with losing Helga yesterday.

Back