• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rapid Breathing

new_horizon

Young Bun
Hi All,

Recently adopted a little fella called Buzz from a family who could no longer look after him. When I picked him up, I noticed that the house smelt very strongly of smoke - in fact our clothes did as we left and we had only been there 10 minutes.

He's been good as gold since we got him back - switched him from Waggs to pellets and gave him hay (he wasn't being given it before I don't think) and he's generally settled in well.

My only question is that he breathes far faster than any rabbit I've ever known. His nose is constantly twitching and his breathing when he lays down is extremely fast (either that or it is his heart beat) - just counted his nose moving 21 times (up and down) in 10 seconds. He's booked in for castration at a very good vet in Windlesham next week, but just a little worried that perhaps the smoking in the old house has affected him and whether he might need help before then?

We've had him since Sunday so unsure whether to wait it out - any advice welcome...

Sorry to keep adding but he is eating fine, going to the toilet fine and is generally well in himself (binkies around and follows us like a lost puppy around the place)

He needs to be examined by a Vet ASAP

Increased respiratory rate can indicate a lung problem, a heart problem or pain amongst other things

So I'd get him seen by the Vet today (Gill at Windlesham Village Vets ?................)

Hey - we took Buzz to see Gill in Windlesham and she couldn't find anything wrong with his lungs, but did say that he was breathing too fast and the fact that he is grunting all of the time when he runs around isn't right (only when he's feeling "fruity" apparently). She has prescribed him Loxicom once daily and Baytril twice daily. Poor thing is getting very stressed out by having to take the meds - kicks, scratches and generally finds the whole thing very traumatic - currently sat on the floor breathing at 100 mph as we speak. I'll keep this updated to help any future people with similar problems. Day 3 of meds so far out of 7

Aww poor chap, I hope the meds helps. It's generally fine to give them hidden in something so some people drop them a piece of banana or anything their bun finds tasty to make it a bit less stressful :)

Hope he recovers soon, we've always fed loxicom in a little bit of fruit, goes down a treat. Syringe feeding meds just wasn't an option here.

I can't add anything other than to say the Gill is an excellent rabbit vet and your bun is getting the very best care with her

Hey - we took Buzz to see Gill in Windlesham and she couldn't find anything wrong with his lungs, but did say that he was breathing too fast and the fact that he is grunting all of the time when he runs around isn't right (only when he's feeling "fruity" apparently). She has prescribed him Loxicom once daily and Baytril twice daily. Poor thing is getting very stressed out by having to take the meds - kicks, scratches and generally finds the whole thing very traumatic - currently sat on the floor breathing at 100 mph as we speak. I'll keep this updated to help any future people with similar problems. Day 3 of meds so far out of 7

Poor you and poor Buzz! What a worry. I hope the Loxicom helps soon and he will feel a lot more comfortable. Some people add the meds inside a raisin .. good luck x

Back